Any salmon River reports

Terry C

Oct 28, 2014, 1:43:36 PM10/28/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It seems quiet about the Salmon river  this fall.   I know the Salmon run was not as good as the past few years but, unusually quiet here.

My son and I went up 3 weeks ago and he landed 2 nice Kings, I managed to hook and lose several.  Hope to get up over the next few weekends to swing flys for steelhead.   I will post report.

Matthew Longley

Oct 28, 2014, 3:54:05 PM10/28/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Went up last weekend looking for steel, other than a hook and loss didn't find any.  Did catch a few kings between the two of us, and I got into the brown of a lifetime that took me running 300 yards down the river.  First time I've ever been taken into my backing, so that was cool, but he threw the hook.

Heading up again in a few weeks, looking forward to finally catching some chrome.

HenryH

Nov 3, 2014, 12:39:42 PM11/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
We were up there Columbus Day weekend.  It was a zoo out there, as expected.  Fishing was pretty good the first and last couple hours of the day with many Kings and chromes hooked.  We landed several nice Kings but all the chromes came unbuttoned.  It was way slower than last year but I kind of enjoyed not fishing the middle of the day and kick back a little.

Terry C

Nov 6, 2014, 10:53:03 AM11/6/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Heading up this weekend.  Going to swing flies for steelhead on Sat.  Be in Hamilton NY for  Friday and Sunday at Colgate to watch daughters Patriot league championship soccer game.   GO GATE !!!!   Looking for the grandslam,  soccer championship + catching a steelhead on the swing.

Matthew Longley

Nov 6, 2014, 11:45:28 AM11/6/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Terry, I'll be up there right after you, heading up on Sunday for a few days.  I've done really well with egg patterns, but never caught any on the swing. Care to offer some tips?

Dalton Terrell

Nov 6, 2014, 12:33:29 PM11/6/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Rob Snowhite

Nov 6, 2014, 12:48:52 PM11/6/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
We had luck with San juans, pheasant tails, eggs, meth, Popsicles, and Hoh bos.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 6, 2014, at 12:33 PM, Dalton Terrell <daltonb...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
http://www.tpfr.org

tperkins

Yambag Nelson

Nov 6, 2014, 3:52:51 PM11/6/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You are generally going have much less success on the swing.  That is because you are targeting a relatively small portion of the fish (those that are willing to chase a swung fly).  If you are swinging for steel on the salmon, you need to be happy with a tug or two a day as opposed to the greater numbers you will probably get with egg patterns.  The upside is that the take of a fish that has attacked a swung fly is infinitely more exciting than chucking 6 feet of flyline with a bobber and split shot and waiting for it to pause.  There is also the added benefit of knowing that the fish actually ate your fly as opposed to being lined which is how a lot of the fish caught on nymphs, egg patterns ect. are really caught.

Terry C

Nov 6, 2014, 4:36:21 PM11/6/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
thanks,  I have all the above  going to try some spey flies first before I resort to the nymphing.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Jeff Kuznecov

Nov 7, 2014, 3:25:04 PM11/7/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Heading up there tomorrow and stay till Tuesday.
Planning to swing some flies for steel.