Best wading/bank fishing for smallmouth near NW?

Ryan Brewer

Sep 22, 2020, 6:59:39 PM9/22/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have that the Upper Potomac has some very good smallmouth fishing; however, I was wondering how much of it accessible without a boat?

I am a broke college student in NW DC and I've been on the search of the easiest water to get to get on a smallie bite.

Thanks!

Yambag Nelson

Sep 22, 2020, 10:17:35 PM9/22/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Do you have a car?  If not you could look at the potomac around turkey run park assuming you can get there.  Worst case you could fish around chain bridge.  Its not awesome smallmouth fishing but probably the best option within walking distance of DC limits. If you have a bike you could pedal along the C&O and look for fishy looking spots on the potomac.  Be careful wading in any of those spots.

Owen Williams

Sep 23, 2020, 7:36:03 AM9/23/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The Potomac smallmouth population has fished poorly for a few years for a number of reasons, but Maryland DNR is trying different methods, including stocking, to replace weak spawns and recruitment. We'll have to wait and see if that is enough as we support the efforts of our local Riverkeepers.

If you do have access to a car, but not enough time to get out to the Shenandoah or Rappahannock, let alone the James, Roanoke/Staunton, or New, several of us have found this guide by Steve Moore a handy one to locate access points: https://switchfisher.com/catchguides/wade-and-shoreline-fishing-the-potomac-chain-bridge-to-harpers-ferry/

More generally on smallies, I am loving this book of techniques writing by a syndicate of upper Midwestern guides: https://shop.tightlinesflyshop.com/smallmouth-modern-fly-fishing-methods-tactics-and.html. Most of it seems readily applicable to what we see locally with our favorite non-native species.

Hope to see you on the water soon, and good luck with your studies!

Best,
Owen Williams

Rob Snowhite

Sep 23, 2020, 8:39:03 AM9/23/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Not to hijack this bank fishing topic but Art and I had discussed Stillwater smallies.

Is there anywhere around here that has smallies in a lake or pond? I've never fished them other than rivers.

For shore fishing you can't beat some of the holes around Chain Bridge.

Rob Snowhite

--
http://www.tpfr.org
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/98649c33-b4d1-4aff-becb-7298d8d6813en%40googlegroups.com

namfos

Sep 23, 2020, 9:41:56 AM9/23/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'll echo Owen's points.
Upriver SMB fishing has been subpar for at least 3 years.
Both books are good references. Steve Moore's book especially for his advice concerning river levels and when & where it's safest to wade.
I'll add that riding a bike on the C&O Canal Towpath is a great way to scout out the fishing in the river and where it has water in it, the C&O Canal.
Also, I suggest taking a look at some of the publications and maps from the Interstate Commission on the Potomac River Basin, https://www.potomacriver.org/

Mark

Jamie Carracher

Sep 23, 2020, 11:06:33 AM9/23/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Rock Creek has smallies. They aren't beasts but are good fun on a light rod. Start in Cleveland Park and poke around all the way down to the Potomac in Georgetown.

caca...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2020, 1:52:50 PM9/23/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
locally The Occoquan reservoir has them....not in big numbers,  but its fed by bull run,  cedar run and the Occoquan river which all have them,  so they are there also.  (if you can get invited on it I hear lake Jackson has a good population)  Beaver creek in Loudon has a few too.   Outside of that I think you have to go to WV or Western MD like Deep Creek or SW VA like Randolph Jennings.

caca...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2020, 1:54:47 PM9/23/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If you have a car there are some great small wadable Northern VA streams that you can only do on foot.  With in 30 to 45 mins from NW plus a little hike.   Bull run and Goose Creek come to mind first.

Doug Graebner

Oct 23, 2020, 9:10:46 PM10/23/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Something that may interest you-Rock Creek has scattered smallies up around the the Zoo and downstream somewhat. They're scattered and you'll need to work the water, but you can catch smallies here and there*

*If you're in NW DC I assume you're at GW or Georgetown or American yes?

Patrick Hynes

Oct 28, 2020, 8:06:39 PM10/28/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I live very close to there and want to try this. What flies (type/size) work on smallies in Rock Creek? I mostly do trout fishing but have the basics in plenty of sizes.

Josh Cohn

Oct 29, 2020, 11:49:20 AM10/29/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Clousers.

But you're gonna wanna avoid that area for a week at least following this rain

caca...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2020, 2:30:19 PM10/29/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Yep you may catch a brown trout if you go now