Shenandoah Wading

Barracuda

Jun 13, 2021, 4:56:17 PM6/13/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Is there any source for places one can (legally) wade the Shenandoah River -- N. Fork, S. Fork, Main Stem, whatever?

I know Steve Moore wrote a series of books on where to wade the Potomac, Rapp, and Rapidan Rivers, but not (so far as I know) the Shenandoah. Does VGIF have anything helpful (I couldn't find it, if so)?

Obviously NOT asking for anyone's favorite secret fishing spot; just looking wor ways to spend half a day, or a whole day, wade fishing. So, looking to do more than just fish around a boat landing.

Cody Schultz

Jun 14, 2021, 11:53:37 AM6/14/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm also curious about this, everything I've read suggests wading is possible but only certain areas and mostly the shallower north fork.

I did go on a kayak float on the south fork using the company linked below and they have fishing kayaks, SUPs, etc.  The rates are really reasonable and they were pretty well run.  There were plenty of areas that looked great for popping off the kayak below the riffles and rapids where fish were holding.  There were just too many sections where you would be out of luck trying to wade unfortunately, so you might not get too far if you started walking up from a launch point without a boat.

namfos

Jun 14, 2021, 11:59:10 AM6/14/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have the previous edition, about 11 years old; you might want to check this edition out:  The Shenandoah and Rappahannock Rivers Guide

Yambag Nelson

Jun 14, 2021, 12:24:51 PM6/14/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
There is decent water for wading near the state park.

I think you are better off floating in general.  There are several operations that rent canoes and will shuttle you for a reasonable cost.