5wt

abbie mcmullen

Oct 9, 2017, 9:39:52 AM10/9/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm looking to add another rod to my arsenal. What's everyone's favorite 5wt set up? I have exclusively been using BVKs (4wt and 7wt). Let me know what you guys like! Thanks!

Logan Schmidt

Oct 9, 2017, 10:01:58 AM10/9/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If you are looking to go for the Volvo approach (lasts forever, but not flashy), I have a 5 wt from LL Bean, and it's not fancy, and it's not going to impress anyone, but it's been reliable and resilient for six years now and I love the way it fishes. They also (like most fly-fishing companies, really) have outstanding customer service and work really hard to put you with the right rod at the store.

Andrew Sarcinello

Oct 9, 2017, 10:11:56 AM10/9/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm a fan of TFO rods as well.  I have a Professional Series II in a 4 wt that I love, so that would be my rec for a 5WT as well.

The 5 wt I currently own is a Cabelas model that I got in 2009 - not sure if they still make this exact rod but it was GREAT for the price (under $100).  I should have broken it multiple times but it stayed intact minus one eyelet that came in direct, forceful contact with a tree branch.  However I've had issues with the newer Cabela's Three Forks breaking (that's their cheapest one) and friends have had the same problem.

Casey Peltier

Oct 9, 2017, 10:32:02 AM10/9/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Abbi,

Come on along to tonight's Beer Tie. The raffle will feature a Cabela's Wind River Combo 9' 5 wt 4 piece--a sweet rod for expanding your arsenal on a budget.

And the raffle ticket money goes to Casting for Recovery Mid-Atlantic.

If you have some cash to spend, my Scott A 4  has been my workhorse for ever. A matte finish cures that "flash on the water" effect that my Best Fishing Buddy claims must alarm the fish because it's bright enough for him to find me easily when we wander apart on the stream.

Casey Peltier
Co-Program Coordinator
Casting for Recovery Mid-Atlantic
703-819-5733 c

Oct 9, 2017, 2:39:10 PM10/9/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm all in favor of having more fly rods, but I think you should decide what type of fishing you want to do with it first.  I am a firm believer in buying a rod for the type of fishing you are doing right now.

So why do you want a 5 wt?   Do you feel any deficiencies in your 4wt?

What are your fishing situations?  Is your current 4wt an 8'6"?

One advantage that I find of a 5wt over a 4wt is in nymphing and throwing small streamers or big busy dries.  If so, you may want a 9' rod, but my general feeling is that an 8' or 8.5' rod is a great general purpose East Coast trout rod.

Are you  feeling the 4wt is too long and want a shorter rod?

Oh and what is the budget.  The Scott G2 885-4 is a fantastic rod and I've heard it was recently discontinued, but even at a discount it's going to be over $500.  In the same category is the Sage Method.  The 5wt is the lightest Method they have and it is a very fast rod, but still has some feel to it.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 9:39 AM, abbie mcmullen <abbie.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm looking to add another rod to my arsenal. What's everyone's favorite 5wt set up? I have exclusively been using BVKs (4wt and 7wt). Let me know what you guys like! Thanks!

abbie mcmullen

Oct 9, 2017, 3:17:08 PM10/9/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I am ideally looking for a new workhorse. I love my 4wt but I have found it to be a bit light if I want to toss a heavier streamer or if there is a stiff breeze. I do actually have a blank 5wt echo that my boyfriend stripped down with intentions to customize. So I could even get away with a good reel! I'm also looking to switch my click drag 4wt to an adjustable if anyone has any thoughts on that!

Carl Z.

Oct 9, 2017, 4:35:27 PM10/9/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I would go to orvis and cast what they have and then go to a non-orvis shop (hopefully Rich's shop opens soon) and cast what they have.

Then sit on it for a bit and think about it.
  • Do you want to pay for a top end model if this really is going to be a workhorse rod.
  • Do you want a 5wt or 6wt. (the 4wt/6wt combination  is nice).
  • Is this a trout only rod?  East coast only?
  • Is a new rod a necessity?  There are some good deals on used equipment.
From experience, there is no "one" rod.  I also think the rod is one of the least important items to splurge on when starting out.  A really nice set of waders and good fishing bag/vest is more important.

As for reels?  For a good value, I've liked Okuma reels.  I really prefer multiple reels over one reel with multiple spools.  I have my preferences for reels (Disk Drag, quiet with an exposed rim) and I prefer narrow/mid arbor reels in 5wt and under.  I'm sure other's will have their opinions.
I would make suggestions but most of the reels I own are over 20 years old.   But most are just pretty things to have.  I only regularly fish about 6 of them.

Carl

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 3:17 PM, abbie mcmullen <abbie.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am ideally looking for a new workhorse. I love my 4wt but I have found it to be a bit light if I want to toss a heavier streamer or if there is a stiff breeze. I do actually have a blank 5wt echo that my boyfriend stripped down with intentions to customize. So I could even get away with a good reel! I'm also looking to switch my click drag 4wt to an adjustable if anyone has any thoughts on that!
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Bobby Davis

Luke M.

Oct 10, 2017, 11:19:57 AM10/10/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Reddington Vapen is an awesome rod at a decent price point if you can find it. I don't think they are made anymore. I picked on up on Amazon last winter. It is by far my favorite rod. I like it better than my Helios and BVK. Very fast, great for throwing oversized flies. And lifetime no fault warranty.

Steven Butler

Oct 10, 2017, 11:21:42 AM10/10/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
For 5 weight, I'm partial to my 9 ft. Allen Compass, which hasn't ever steered me wrong in the 4ish years I've been using it. No trouble swinging streamers. Reels, ATS is good, but prefer the Trout 2 (both also Allen products). Though as many have indicated, you can't beat trying a setup out for yourself. Good luck!

Bryan Lanier

Oct 10, 2017, 12:41:40 PM10/10/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Back when Orvis came out with the Helios II came out I was able to get a Helios 5wt Switch rod for a song and I love it. In addition to using it two-handed, because of its length (11') it's a great rod for nymphing.

Bryan

--
http://www.tpfr.org

abbie mcmullen

Oct 10, 2017, 2:20:15 PM10/10/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
So, I've been doing some research on Taylor reels. The array and the revolution are stunning! Both claim powerful drags, has anyone had any experience with Taylor?

Z Onk

Oct 10, 2017, 9:22:03 PM10/10/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Try looking at a glass.   5wt 8’ = fun :)

Trevor

Oct 24, 2017, 10:31:36 PM10/24/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I am in agreement with Carl that it depends on what you are wanting to do with the new rod.  Right now I have over 10 rods and each has it's purpose (I'm a fanatic, don't judge).  If I am heading to a new trout stream and I need a workhorse, do it all rod, I take my 5wt Sage Z-Axis with Lamson Guru reel.  I have had this for years and it is a great rod, however, it might not be right for you.  Another question to ask is what your casting stroke is?  A fast action 5 wt is great for some, but others prefer the more relaxed casting stroke of a medium action rod.  The other 5 wt I currently have is Sage Circa, and it is a great slower action dry fly rod; I would not use it for nymphing or throwing streamers.  I have three TFO six weight rods TiCrX, six weight Deer Creek switch, and an eight weight TiCr they are fantastic for the price.  A TiCrX in a 5 wt would be a great purchase for a fast action 5 wt.  The TiCrX was my first dedicated streamer rod and paired with an Okuma helios, it has been bombproof for damn near a decade.  Here's a quick rundown:  Allen (10wt), TFO (8wt), Winston (6wt)  2 TFO (6wt), 2 Sage (5wt), 1 Sage (4wt), 1 Headwaters bamboo (4wt), 1 Mystic (3wt), 1 Grigg (2wt), 1 Tenkara USA (6:4), 1 Tenkara Rod Co. (5:5).  My first workhorse do everything rod for MT trout streams was a Redington 5wt with a Ross CLA reel.  It was an amazing setup and a great price.
As someone else suggested, try taking a trip to one of the shops (Backwater angler, Bass Pro, Orvis) and let them set up a rod to test out.  This is probably the best way to find the right rod for your casting style and intended use.  A reel that has amazed me so far is 3-Tand.  The startup inertia is zero and the reels perform as good if not better than many that cost 2-3 times as much.  I have Ross, Lamson, TFO, Allen, and Okuma reels currently.  The big determining factor on a reel is what you are fishing for.  If you are going to use it for large pressured trout requiring fine tippets, you need to invest in a good reel will no startup inertia.  The lower quality reels take some effort to "break" them free before line starts feeding out and this can be the kiss of death if you have a hot 20+ inch fish on 6X tippet.  However, if you are throwing streamers or fishing to smallmouth or less finicky trout on 1-3X, the reel is not that big a deal.  Hell, I fish plenty of time for bass with 0-1X and strip them in the whole way, so the reel simply becomes a place to store the line.
Hopefully this gave you some good info.  The others in the post offer some solid suggestions as well.
Trevor