Utah

abbie mcmullen

Jun 14, 2018, 6:06:14 PM6/14/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey group! So in August I am taking a trip to fish the green river in Utah. We also wanted to fish around Salt Lake City for the last couple days of the trip to be closer to the airport. Haha. Any thoughts?? I heard there are grayling in the mountains??
Thanks!

Yambag Nelson

Jun 14, 2018, 6:15:24 PM6/14/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
It's been a few years since I have been out that way, but the Provo is worth fishing. Can't remember how far it is from salt lake though. I preferred the middle to the lower.

If you are doing the green, I highly recommend hiking into the "b" section down red creek canyon. It is the best diy water on the green and if you get down there early you can have several hours of fishing to yourselves before a single drift boat comes through. Not super easy to get to so most don't make the efffort.

Lane Thurgood

Jun 15, 2018, 10:29:19 AM6/15/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Abbie, I grew up in Utah and return most summers.

If you want grayling, I can recommend strenuous hike-into spots that would be pretty much guarantees.  But that sounds like more of a time commitment than you can make.

If you want drive-to spots for grayling, Smith-Morehouse is about 60 miles away.  It is a very popular campground and lake, but you should find room to fish.  Along with grayling, it has Bonneville cutts, rainbows, tiger trout, kokanee.  https://www.recreation.gov/camping/smith-and-morehouse/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70139

I think you'd have no trouble finding fish--couldn't guarantee a grayling, though, but you're at least in water that has them.

If you are willing to spend a long day with maybe a 4-hour hike in then out, I can get you into grayling.

Another option is the fishing in the Uinta Mountains picking one of dozens of lakes around the Mirror Lake Highway.  I sent someone else on the board there--he drove to Mirror Lake, found plenty of fish and lots of people.  Drive-to lakes with grayling include Trial Lake and Washington Lake.  Both of these lakes also have trout.

In those mountain lakes, grayling generally cruise fairly near the shore line.  A size 16 or, better yet, 18 dark dry fly placed in their path is generally poetry.

abbie mcmullen

Jun 15, 2018, 2:32:28 PM6/15/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks very much! I would LOVE to get some grayling, something I would never see around here. I think we could handle a couple hours of hiking to get some good fish! Any more remote spots you would recommend?

Dave Nicholson

Jun 18, 2018, 7:51:24 AM6/18/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I know people who run over to Little Cottonwood Canyon...and Big Cottonwood on their lunch hours. Both are fairly close to SLC Airport if you have a car. Bit further away I've heard some fish the Ogden River.