New rod/reel

Skip to the first unread message

Jason Hanerfeld

24 Mar 2014, 1:33:41 pm24/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking to get a new rod/reel combo for this summer.  Most of my fishing is for smallie's on the potomac in the fletchers area, along with the occasional carp and trout fishing.  I'd like to get a 5 WT so smallie's are still fun to fight, but I can still manage to haul in a big carp.  I'm looking to spend in the range of $200-450 for the rod and reel combined.  Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Jason Hanerfeld

Scott Stankus

24 Mar 2014, 2:49:04 pm24/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
First off, a 5-wt seems like much too small a stick for what you're talking about. I primarily fish an 8-wt (Orvis Frequent Flyer 7-piece) and I love it. It allows me to throw big flies and, since I never know what I'm going to hook in the Potomac, allows me to know that I'll have a pretty good chance of landing it. I've been happy with the feel of the fight, as well. I've definitely never felt like I'm just hauling a fish in without a fight.

Check out this recent article on the Orvis Fly Fishing blog (no link since orvis dot com is clearly a commercial site):

Pro Tip: Choosing the Right Fly Rod for Your Quarry is Vital to the Health of the Fishery

--Scott

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Jeffrey Silvan

24 Mar 2014, 2:53:15 pm24/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Scott - a 5 wt sounds a little too light if you'll be mainly fishing the Potomac. It'll be tough to throw some of the weighted flies that are so common in smallie fishing. I personally use a 7 wt for most fishing (shad, smallies on the Shenandoah, and carp), and still find its a great fight. You can get one of the Orvis Clearwater combos for your price range. They are very nice rods, but there are plenty out there that will work just as well if you prefer a different brand. The 7 wt will be a little heavy for trout, but I just bought a very inexpensive 3 wt for the trout fishing I do in this general area.

Jeff

TurbineBlade

24 Mar 2014, 4:04:47 pm24/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Fragments of Opinion:

I've gone out with a 3-weight to target sunfish, and ended up catching catfish, LMB, perch, etc. and I've taken an 8-weight out to target carp and only caught sunfish with it.

 I've fished several times for small trout using the same 8-weight and had absolutely no problems.

Don't 'Praise Yahweh' when fighting a fish (using only the tip end).  Do it like the guy in the picture does....but only if you own a boat.  If you're boatless, I can't help you.

Fly fishing for tarpon

Fitz Coker applies sideways pressure to a big tarpon, using his body position and the boat to make applying the pressure a little easier.

I think the 8-weight without question will throw ALL sizes of flies and into the wind better than lighter tackle.

Light tackle is enjoyable to use and fishes a bit better in certain conditions to fish that would otherwise spook, but moderate/heavy winds will kill you and make you look like you don't know how to cast if people are watching.

No streams in VA specify a minimum fly line grain weight, so it's totally up to you.

Gene

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Jason Hanerfeld <jasonha...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm looking to get a new rod/reel combo for this summer.  Most of my fishing is for smallie's on the potomac in the fletchers area, along with the occasional carp and trout fishing.  I'd like to get a 5 WT so smallie's are still fun to fight, but I can still manage to haul in a big carp.  I'm looking to spend in the range of $200-450 for the rod and reel combined.  Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Jason Hanerfeld

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Bob Smith

24 Mar 2014, 4:10:41 pm24/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
For the Fletcher's/Chain Bridge and nearby Locks areas a 6 wgt. is a minimum, and a 7 wgt. is fine. You can manage 200-300 grain lies for shad on a 7wgt. and a 12" smallie will still give a good fight on that. And if you hook a carp a 7wgt. might not feel like enough rod. You can use a 7 for stripers, catfish and largemouth bass. It's not an ideal weight for them but it will serve.

Be careful when buying a rod/reel combo at thar price range though. There are rods in that price range that will serve but I'd talk to the guys at Urban Angler/Orvis about which brand/model. It's easy to buy a dog at the lower prices.

I think a 5wgt. is for trout, panfish and rivers where the smallies don't get large. Of course you can use a 5 and catch carp, shad and small stripers on in but you'll work your @$$ off casting the proper sized flies for larger fish and a 200 grain line will be the highest weight you can cast on it comfortably.

Just my opinion so your mileage may vary, bt not by much.

TurbineBlade

24 Mar 2014, 4:15:03 pm24/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
+1 Bob.  I went out to buy a rod once in *nearly that same price range and came home with a beagle.  That thing ate both of us out of the house and ate 4 pairs of foam ear plugs the first night!

Gene

Yambag Nelson

24 Mar 2014, 5:15:19 pm24/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I think Temple Forks makes the best rods for the money.  I am not sure how much they are now, but I paid a little over $200 for my TiCr 8 weight a couple years ago.  Great rod.

I personally think a 5 is too light for the potomac as well.

Nedak

24 Mar 2014, 8:56:30 pm24/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Interesting thoughts from TPFRers on the 5wt.  I happen to use a 5wt almost exclusively on the Potomac.  I can throw nice sized stonefly nymphs, clousers and anything else in my box.  Maybe I am using the wrong flies.  I haven't gone after shad yet but I have a 9wt for surf/saltwater fishing that I plan to use.

With the 5wt from sunfish to smallies, I haven't had any trouble bringing the fish in and I get a good fight out of most.  I did get a 3wt to go after sunnies exclusively.

I also use the 5wt out west in CO and Idaho.  I find it to be very versatile.

When I was buying my upgrade rod, I found all kinds of advice from different boards...the consistent theme, pay as much as you can afford for the first rod.  I economized on a package for ~$100 of a no name brand and had problems from the outset.  I ended up upgrading to a nice older model Sage that i found on a different forum.  Places to look are stripers online and washington fly fishing classified and the well known auction site.

Note to Dan...I thought there was an effort  underway to put a classified section for TPFR.  I understand and respect the no classified decision but...

Vic Velasco

24 Mar 2014, 9:33:56 pm24/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jason -

You will get a 100 opinions out of 100 different people - go fish what you have and have a good time fishing (and try not to kill anything you are not going to eat).

I've got a few rods in that weight class - if you are interested, you can cast a few of them to see how you like them and figure out better what you would want to go out and purchase.

You'd be surprised what some rods out there are capable of (Eagle Claw Featherlight...)

PM me if you want to cast some.

Vic

Bob Smith

24 Mar 2014, 10:31:34 pm24/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Gotta say that so far everyone who's responded has the same opinion. I'm guessing based on real world experience.

And one of the surest ways to kill a fish is to fight it for a long time on an underpowered rod if it doesn't break off.

Bob Smith

Sent from my iPad
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Terry C

25 Mar 2014, 8:51:11 am25/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Jason, I use a 6wt. As my all round go to rod. I also have 4wt and 8wt. As I have bought rods my feeling was I didn't need a rod in every wt. so my strategy was to go every other . My 4 is a great small stream trout and bluegill rod, the 6 is for everything up to steelhead , and the 8 wt is for steelhead/ salmon. I recently feed the addiction with an 8 wt. switch which is now my steelhead rod. My point is once you start you can't stop. Good luck, see if you can cast some different rods before you buy. For what you describe probably a 6 or 7 will fit your needs.

Bob Sivinski

25 Mar 2014, 9:33:08 am25/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

My Potomac smallie rod is a 5 wt Bank Robber by St. Croix.  It's a little outside of your price range, but it throws heavy lines and flies well.  It's a very sturdy 5 wt and I don't feel like I end up fighting fish too long with it.  Before that I used a 6 wt Sage Fli with the same line (Rio Smallmouth 6 wt).  I catch so many sunfish and <12 inch smallies that I find using my 8 wt a little boring.

Rob Snowhite

25 Mar 2014, 9:59:04 am25/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You can catch just about everything around here on a 5wt though an 8wt will have a better insurance built into the spine when  you need it. The fishing manager at Orvis Tysons back in the day fished nothing but an old Cortland 5wt. We didn't have snakeheads in the river back then. My preferred rod for the past several years during the shad run has been the Orvis Clearwater 5wt.The thing is you never know what you will pull in as Stankus mentioned so be prepared. And I've seen his multi piece rod land steelhead!

The question is whether it is ethical to play a large fish with a light rod if you hook into one. You may end up causing your fish to go belly up after releasing if you fight it too long with a rod that can't bring it in before the fish expires.

You will also be limited to the size of fly and the amount of wind you can throw said fly. Will you be able to fight a fish if it gets into the main current of the Potomac with a 5wt? Will you be able to pull a fish out of the weeds at Roaches with that rod? I once saw a guy fight and land a kind salmon in NY on a 4wt. It can be done but is it ethical to the fish?

Merrick landed a snakehead on his 5wt last year and a 30" striper in Oct 2010 at Gravelly on the same rod- it can be done.

Richie can hook you up with a TFO starter kit or Reddington. Dan has the Clearwaters. As long as your new rod has a warranty and the reel won't break if it smacks off tidal rocks around Chain Bridge you should be good to go.

The Potomac river really is like a box of chocolates.......

Rob Snowhite

25 Mar 2014, 10:14:08 am25/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

As mentioned by Rob, I almost exclusively fish the Potomac with my 5wt. It has never caused any challenges to fly size or placing undue strain on larger fish. And while over the years I have splurged for larger, much more expensive rods, I find myself always reaching for my trusty Orvis starter rod. The thing is tough as nails and I don’t mind if it gets beat up. Just my two cents.

Marek

Richard Farino

25 Mar 2014, 10:46:38 am25/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I like throwing bigger flies for bigger smallmouth in the river and I like catching really big carp, so I throw a 6wt pretty much all year on the Potomac and Shenandoah.  I still throw my favorite rod, Sage’s XP.  Popper, Clawdads, CK Baitfish, Clousers, carp flies, and poppers are all handled well.  I use the same rod with a 200gr sinking line for shad, and can still throw big streamers for trout.

I think a 5wt is too small for the type of fishing I do on the river, and I occasionally jump up to a 7wt for really big articulated flies for big smallmouth in certain stretches of river, and an 8wt for largemouth and snakehead.

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313ric...@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter

Eric Y.

25 Mar 2014, 11:40:29 am25/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I like the bigger rods to deal with the wind but a good friend fished for a lot of carp and shad up here and now that's he's moved out of the area, specks and puppy drum down in Galveston Bay with an 8'6" 4wt (the $130 Lefty Kreh Signature model, no less).

For reels, unless I'm fishing salt or a two-hander, I use a 60 year old click-and-pawl Cortland Rimfly that I found in my great grandfather's basement many years ago. There aren't too many freshwater fish that truly necessitate more drag than your palm can provide and nothing sounds quite as good as a fish pulling drag off a click-and-pawl. Plus, click and pawl is bomb-proof.

TurbineBlade

25 Mar 2014, 1:00:06 pm25/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like most folks are in the 4-8 weight range for the river....and I'd imagine that most of the folks on the board could pick up anyone else's rod (with permission) and catch fish with it.  It's a lot of personal preference.

To tell the truth, there's really no practical reason for me to ever use anything other than my 8-weight (TFO PRO II -- quite moderate compared to most 8-weights I've casted) for the river, regardless of the species and fly sizes.  The rod protects down to smaller than I would generally use for anything warm water, and it certainly permits me to cast in a wider range of conditions than my other gear.  Actually, there's very little disadvantage using it for most of my trout fishing, other than very calm areas that I don't fish often and really small flies that I like more flex.

But practical = boring and if practical ruled the world, we wouldn't have movies about gambling or Toaster Strudels.  Light tackle is fun, and fun trumps everything in my mind.  So I don't argue with what people want to use -- it's pointless and I'll be dead in another 30-40 years.

One guy I know on here had a lady jogging by in DC and saw him fishing and said "Don't you think it's cruel to just catch the fish, struggle with 'em, and then let 'em go?"  Of course, there's never time to explain fees collected from sportsmen via licenses, gear, etc. but the point is that there's a common enemy --

Joggers!   Well, and unleashed dogs.

Gene

Brendan

26 Mar 2014, 12:37:28 pm26/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
i fished the potomac for years when my only rod was an 8' 5wt. You can do it, and for 95% of the fish you catch it's fine. As Rob said it's not always good for the fish, but i also think it's kinda ridiculous seeing people with their whole setup built around that once a summer 5lb+ bruiser.  It won't keep you from successfully bringing in the fish. However, it likely will limit your ability to catch. Whether it's the added distance (i generally can cast about 40% further with a 7wt, especially when wading or sitting in a canoe) or the ability to hurl bigger flies as Richie mentioned, a sturdier rod will give you several advantages on big water. When i'm in a canoe i usually have the 5wt rigged up with a #8 hopper pattern or something while fishing a big popper, crayfish or minnow pattern on a 9' 7w... Maybe cast the 5wt a half dozen times/trip...maybe.

if you spend 50% or more of your time trout fishing... i'd definitely lean towards a multi-purpose 5wt. OR.... you can get two very decent rods, say a 7'6'' 3wt and a 9' 7/8wt  for under $200/ea at the local fly shops.  Maybe get two $25 crap reels off amazon (tho buy decent line from a local shop) and then get better reels for Christmas or something.