C&O Canal: There's fish but no water

kylef...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2016, 8:28:43 AM3/31/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
It appears the bluegills and largemouth bass didn't get the memo from NPS that the canal isn't open for the season yet.

Between Key Bridge and the Whitehurst Freeway overpass I counted a dozen LMB ranging 6-12 inches in size and 500+ bluegills yesterday mostly in the 2-4 inch range but with a few 6-7 inch fish.   Water depths looked to be 6-24 inches.   There is little to no cover or apparent food.  I'm guessing they like the warmth of shallow water and lack of current, possibly pre-spawn for the bluegills.  The 10-12 inch LMBs are probably following their food.  (See blurry bass pic)

Right now it seems a little unsporting to toss buggy dries at bluegills or strip streamers for bass in a glorified puddle.

Does anyone know when NPS will flood the canal?
IMG_2526.JPG

Jeffrey Silvan

Mar 31, 2016, 9:08:03 AM3/31/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've been wondering the same. It is watered in between locks 6 and 7.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Message has been deleted

kylef...@gmail.com

namfos

Mar 31, 2016, 11:05:16 AM3/31/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
A PM inquiry via the Canal's FB page received just now:

"For now, water will enter the canal above Great Falls as normal at Violletts lock, and continue down to just above the "Log Wall" at Mile 11.2. Water will not be in the canal below the Log Wall and Lock 5 / Inlet Lock 1 for two reasons: repairs are required at the Log Wall and a culvert is being repaired this summer near Carderock. On a related note, maintenance Division is currently clearing debris from inlet Lock 1 to begin the process of re-watering from Lock 5 to Georgetown."

Might want to check with whomever is doing the clearing at Lock 1 for progress reports. There's a guide to mile markers here: http://www.candocanal.org/access.html

Mark

Jeffrey Silvan

Mar 31, 2016, 11:21:06 AM3/31/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Wow, so is that saying no water at all this entire season from Georgetown to outside the Beltway? It sounds like I'll have to find a new place for the mulberry hatch then this season... I guess the water that was in between 6 and 7 is an anomaly?

--
http://www.tpfr.org

tperkins

Ashley Frohwein

Mar 31, 2016, 1:27:20 PM3/31/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Boo. So the culvert will be repaired this summer, but I wonder when they'll repair the log wall. I've never fished above lock 8 (by which I mean toward the beltway/away from Georgetown). Is there any good carp sight fishing up that way?

Andrew LaVigne

Jeffrey Silvan

Hugh Fike

Mar 31, 2016, 2:46:33 PM3/31/16
to tidal-potomac-.
Water is very low below chain bridge and above Arizona road.

kylef...@gmail.com

Jamie Carracher

Apr 1, 2016, 7:57:28 AM4/1/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Good deal!

namfos

Apr 1, 2016, 8:38:50 AM4/1/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Jeff, clarity via Twitter?

"@namfos water from lock 22 to Log Wall at Mile 11.2 No Water below to Lock 5 b/c Log Wall needs repairs, culvert being repaired @ Carderock"

"...also We are currently clearing debris from inlet Lock/lock 5 to re-water from Lock 5 to GT

Looks like you won't be doin' your carpin' above Lock 5 this summer for sure. Whether or not you will below Lock 5, depends on how quickly they clear the debris. Zero info was offered on when work would be completed. Several years ago when canal washed out near Anglers, it was at least 3 years before they "re-watered" after major repairs.

FWIW, there are some big honkin' carp in the Canal just upstream of Widewater and below Great Falls Tavern.

Here's an even better map to the canal with mile markers: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zTcSoBEu8XVU.kTc_-ypqVr7k&hl=en&usp=sharing

Mark

Jeffrey Silvan

Apr 1, 2016, 9:43:17 AM4/1/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yikes, that's a bummer! Thanks for the efforts to find this info. I guess I'll have to venture further up the canal this year. Thanks for the intel on the other places to hit.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Ashley Frohwein

namfos

Apr 2, 2016, 10:48:21 AM4/2/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Well, what might you expect from 160+ year old transpotation infrastructure that hasn't been used for it's intended purpose in nearly a century? And is presently operated by a Federal agency that has a backlog of maintenance and repair work larger than than Metro?

Just have to head out farther afield, I suppose.

Mark

kylef...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2016, 3:23:55 PM4/2/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Lock 5 to Georgetown has water now.

Brian Cohen

Apr 6, 2016, 9:30:50 PM4/6/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The Georgetown Current community newspaper is reporting this week that, "An 18-month rehabilitation of the C&O Canal’s Lock 3 will begin this fall, requiring the D.C. stretch of canal to be drained for the duration of the work."

According to the story, the work will begin in October 2016 and finish by April 2018, and "the agency will need to drain the canal east of Lock 5, located just over the Maryland line, to safely carry out the work."

The Current publishes their material online a week or so after the print edition is published and delivered.   By this time next week, you should be able to read the full story here:  http://www.currentnewspapers.com/archiveweek.php?n=2&year=2016

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 3:23 PM, <kylef...@gmail.com> wrote:
Lock 5 to Georgetown has water now.
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Ashley Frohwein

HermanyorFlorida

Apr 7, 2016, 11:42:01 AM4/7/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
So there's still water at Widewater then. Seemed to be fewer carp in there last year. If you're feeling super adventurous, go out to Big or Little Pool way way out on the canal.

Brian Cohen