Rod Line-Up Markings?

Kevin Huntington

Jan 27, 2014, 12:41:11 PM1/27/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
So a couple of my rods don't have line-up markings on the respective pieces near each joint.  The 2 piece is obviously easier to assemble accurately, but the 4-piece is always a pain.  Anyone have any tips for getting around this, or type of paint that I could use to mark myself?  I was thinking craft paint from Michael's or something of the like.  But even then, anyone have a great way to know your pieces are 100% lined up before marking?

Thanks in advance!

TurbineBlade

Jan 27, 2014, 12:44:10 PM1/27/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've always just sighted down the rod against the sky above and ignored the line-up marks.  You could take some white-out and do your own if you want -- I used to white out my bait rods so I could see the tip move if a catfish or carp was messing around with it in low light conditions ;).

Gene

GSFeder

Jan 27, 2014, 12:59:10 PM1/27/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I sight down the rod once the line is strung. That yellow line makes it easy to see if it's straight or not. Then , before you break down the rod, you could use a paint marker from Michaels in a color that complements the wraps or other writing on the rod -- you can get metallic silver or gold, for example.  It does make setting up easier.

Cheers,

-- Greg

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Rob Snowhite

Jan 27, 2014, 1:05:45 PM1/27/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Gene used to white out his entire rod..it was more white than black. Like a zebra.  Lefty Kreh covered this in one if his books, if my memory works it tells me he suggested using nail polish for dots. White out is good as it doesn't dissolve when wet.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 27, 2014, at 12:44 PM, TurbineBlade <doubl...@gmail.com> wrote:

TurbineBlade

Jan 27, 2014, 1:14:33 PM1/27/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Okay -- I might have a problem with white out and other correction fluids.  God I love that stuff -- it's so cheap and bright, why just use a little?   When I was in group last week though I was strong and centered.

Beth threw away the contents of my supply cabinet several weeks ago and I'm better now without it.  I know that now.

Gene

On Monday, January 27, 2014 12:41:11 PM UTC-5, Kevin Huntington wrote:
So a couple of my rods don't have line-up markings on the respective pieces near each joint.  The 2 piece is obviously easier to assemble accurately, but the 4-piece is always a pain.  Anyone have any tips for getting around this, or type of paint that I could use to mark myself?  I was thinking craft paint from Michael's or something of the like.  But even then, anyone have a great way to know your pieces are 100% lined up before marking?

Thanks in advance!

--
http://www.tpfr.org

namfos

Jan 27, 2014, 2:12:22 PM1/27/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
LOL!

Cameron Abbott

Jan 29, 2014, 9:20:13 AM1/29/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I used some of my wife's nail polish and it has stayed on pretty well.

Nedak

Jan 30, 2014, 5:33:03 AM1/30/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I lined the rod and then placed dots on the ferrule and butt section w silver sharpies. Did not last very long. I am gonna try nail polish. I will have to steal a bright color plus my Sally Hansen back from my 14 year old who stole it from me.

Matthew Longley

Jan 30, 2014, 10:55:58 AM1/30/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I use my wife's nail polish all the time for painting flies and jig heads, but shhh don't tell her.

For lining up the rod, sometimes I put the top and bottom half together first, line those up, then connect them in the middle.  Makes it a little easier if you don't have much space to maneuver.

Vince

Feb 1, 2014, 8:22:24 AM2/1/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
This may sound silly, but I had an "A Ha!" moment a few years back when an old timer showed me how to put together a rod. Rather than starting at the grip end, start at the tip. This way you can sight each section in as you put them on by looking down the rod and at the end you aren't having to reach way out to get the last piece on. Maybe everyone always does it this way, but for some reason, I hadn't thought of it!

Timothy Murphy

John Bilotta

Feb 1, 2014, 1:50:05 PM2/1/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It helps me if I put the reel on before I assemble the rod.
John

Sent from my iPhone