The Tilapia is back in 4MR

TurbineBlade

Dec 21, 2015, 11:08:24 AM12/21/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm 98% sure that's what it was anyway.  I haven't caught it since that one time 2 years back, but someone surely will before too long.  It was either that, or an unusually large, off-color giant gourami.  Sat was average, Sun much better.

Still has hundreds of LMB, some yellow perch, bluegill, crappie, and a few catfish.  You can catch so many fish on a fly that they'll wear the point down and destroy all the materials tied to it.

Saw a massive catfish meandering around, but I think he was blind (cataracts, battle scars).

Just my opinion, but the outfall sucks compared to the other spots recently.  Don't waste your life away standing there when you can be hooking up on every other cast elsewhere ;).  Unless that's what you like.

Gene

Scott B.

Dec 21, 2015, 11:42:04 AM12/21/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Are you fishing right at the water treatment plant, or more upstream?

Rob Snowhite

Dec 21, 2015, 12:18:05 PM12/21/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Gene had a bent rod all morning Saturday.. Loads of white perch in outflow that ignored all flies. Did see a small goldfish in there making me want to tie up all orange Clousers.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

TurbineBlade

Dec 21, 2015, 12:36:22 PM12/21/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Yep!  Saw Rob out there making some roll casts -- I tried my best to keep out of the way of his news article research (I think that's what you said?).  Sunday was easier without the wind, and the bite was great.  As I was leavning I watched 2 spin guys and 1 fly guy with a bright yellow rod planted at the outfall.  Don't get me wrong -- the outfall can be great, but I move on if they aren't biting well.

Scott - I fish all around the place, but usually not too far upstream of the outfall.  It seems like as it gets colder and colder, fewer fish seem to hang out up there by those poles.  I could be wrong though.....wouldn't be the first time.

BTW -- some nice La-Froyg warmed me up immensely (Beth picked some up).  I love that stuff!

Gene ("The fish are not coming out of the outfall tube...no matter how much you stare") TB

On Dec 21, 2015, at 11:08 AM, TurbineBlade <doubl...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm 98% sure that's what it was anyway.  I haven't caught it since that one time 2 years back, but someone surely will before too long.  It was either that, or an unusually large, off-color giant gourami.  Sat was average, Sun much better.

Still has hundreds of LMB, some yellow perch, bluegill, crappie, and a few catfish.  You can catch so many fish on a fly that they'll wear the point down and destroy all the materials tied to it.

Saw a massive catfish meandering around, but I think he was blind (cataracts, battle scars).

Just my opinion, but the outfall sucks compared to the other spots recently.  Don't waste your life away standing there when you can be hooking up on every other cast elsewhere ;).  Unless that's what you like.

Gene

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Justin Schiavone

Dec 21, 2015, 12:50:46 PM12/21/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Tilapia supposedly eat poop. Only fitting you'd find them in 4mr. What kind of fly did eat it? One of those SHs?

D. Walker

Dec 21, 2015, 12:58:13 PM12/21/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Tilapia do eat poop.
I saw something on tv a while back that catfish farms also raise tilapia because they feed the catfish poop to the tilapia thus doubling their profit..... its been a few years since I saw it so hopefully my memory serves me correctly

Rob Snowhite

Dec 21, 2015, 2:07:06 PM12/21/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Maybe the tilapia will eat corn flies

image1.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Justin Schiavone

TurbineBlade

Dec 21, 2015, 3:06:25 PM12/21/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If I recall without searching the database on here, mine took a blacknose dace.  Hard fighter too, surprisingly.

Gene

Justin Schiavone

Dec 21, 2015, 4:35:20 PM12/21/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Dang. That's pretty cool.

Dalton Terrell

Dec 22, 2015, 2:39:20 PM12/22/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Gene, maybe it was an escapee from inside the facility: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzK-8qFKm1Q

Dalton

D. Walker

Dec 22, 2015, 3:11:35 PM12/22/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Dalton that's where I saw it!!!

Ashley Frohwein

Dec 22, 2015, 5:02:50 PM12/22/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I last caught a Tilapia (I think it was a Nile Tilapia?) about a year ago at 4MR. They def look like toilet-dwellers.

Nedak

Dec 23, 2015, 10:25:37 PM12/23/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I caught a tilapia down in Saint Marteen, two guys hauling trash were watching when I landed it.  One guy took it home to eat. Poop eater plus polluted water where that one came from...I don't even want to speculate.

Brad

Dec 29, 2015, 10:39:12 AM12/29/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I work in fisheries. All of the imported tilapia in US markets (which is damn near all of it) is fed a steady diet of antibiotics and pig/chicken/duck/human shit. Don't eat tilapia. Ever.

Dave Stephenson

Dec 30, 2015, 10:31:15 AM12/30/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I ate Tilapia fresh caught out of Lake Victoria in Uganda, almost 20 years ago. They flash fried the whole gutted fish in boiling coconut oil. Admit it was pretty tasty...NOW I know why they were catching them from the same waters the hippos hung out in.
Message has been deleted

Dalton Terrell

Dec 30, 2015, 10:38:43 AM12/30/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Earlier this year I stayed with the first lady's folks in Fort Myers, FL on a golf course, where there were tons of Tilapia on spawning beds near the shore of the ponds. I got a few to bite, but all struck short. The family buys imported Tilapia from the grocery store all the time, but refused my offer to try to harvest one from the "filthy golf course water".

Dalton

ric...@urbanangler.com

Dec 30, 2015, 5:58:45 PM12/30/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
D,

With The amount of fertilizer and pesticides in golf course ponds, you should be wary.