The green head flies were bad at times, but.....

Brad

Jun 30, 2014, 7:27:01 PM6/30/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
But we caught fish. Fished with my buddy who is the conservation director at IGFA in the everglades back country. We didn't have a bonkers day, but plenty of snook and baby tarpon were to be had. And I got to ride on one of the best flats boats I've ever been on - Hells Bay Whipray. The hull is only 600 pounds. Motor another 200. I also caught a jack and a speckled trout but didn't get pics. The everglades have been on my life list for a long time. Only the tarpon (4) came on the fly. The others were caught on soft plastics so the guy on the pole could fish too.
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

Brian

Jul 1, 2014, 7:28:13 AM7/1/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice fish Brad!  I'm headed down to Vero Beach tomorrow.  Still debating on the 5wt or the 8wt (have floating and sinking for the 8wt).  Any suggestions?  Barring a tropical storm, I should be able to get plenty of time in!

Brad

Jul 1, 2014, 9:41:06 AM7/1/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
We fished 7's and 8's. Can't say enough good things about Sage 1 rods. Holy crap those are sweet rods. I wouldn't attempt a 5 weight in salt unless you are in a boat. Could you land these fish on a 5wt? Yes. Could you handle the small flies we threw? Yes. But I feel pretty strongly about not going too light for fish you are going to release.

And we threw very small flies. Tiny bluegill sized poppers, an orange and tan muddler (ugly muddler) and a small mayan ciclid imitation. All three got eaten. It was all sight fishing. I will be back.

I'm in Fort Lauderdale for work. I hope that storm let's me out of here.

Brian

Jul 1, 2014, 11:49:42 AM7/1/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Brad.  The size fish I normally catch would barley bend a 5wt, but you never know, and I agree about not overplaying the fish.  And don't worry the storms supposed to be headed North soon!