Volunteer opportunities on the Tidal Potomac

Owen Williams

Feb 14, 2023, 12:01:39 PM2/14/23
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Our friend, Chris Campo, the Fish and Wildlife Biologist for DC's Department of Energy & Environment, is seeking volunteers for several upcoming outings. This is a great way to encourage our neighbors to share our love of the tidal Potomac. The times I've volunteered I have been very impressed with the thought and preparation that Chris and his team put into them.

 If any of these suit your schedule, please reach out to Chris (christop...@dc.gov) to raise your hand. This is a great way to encourage our neighbors to share our love of the tidal Potomac. I'm sure you'll have fun and feel good about helping out.

April 23rd - Hains Point Community Day
  • Offering free fishing sessions (~40 anglers/hour) from 8:30AM to 12:30PM as part of NPS-NAMA's broader Hains Point Community Day event. Volunteers will provide basic spincast (push-button) casting instruction, and assist with any related tasks (netting/unhooking fish, re-rigging rods as needed, etc.).
April 29th - Shad Fishing at Fletcher's Cove with Howard University, NPT, NPS-CHOH
  • Leading a shad fishing activity for approx. 15-25 Howard University students, with support from the National Park Trust and NPS- CHOH staff. Volunteers will help with spinning rod setup, basic casting instruction, and land-based shad fishing. Tentative timeframe 8AM-12:00PM.
May 20th - Shad/Multi-Species Fishing at Fletcher's Cove with Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, NPT, NPS-CHOH
  • Leading a shad/multi-species fishing activity for approx. 35-45 youth and adults from Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, with support from the National Park Trust and NPS-CHOH staff. Depending on river conditions and the status of the shad run, this may become more of a perch/catfishing day. Will also set up a Backyard Bass practice casting station for younger kids/families. Tentative timeframe 8AM-12:00PM.