Two day float South Fork of the Shenandoah Options?

tperkins

Jul 20, 2018, 2:30:54 PM7/20/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've got a few days off coming up in early August and am thinking about doing a two day float on the the South Fork of Shenandoah, renting a canoe through Front Royal Canoe and having them shuttle me.

Looks like they have two options for two day floats. Any one have a preference between floating from Bixler Bridge to Bentonville or from Seek ford landing to Front Royal?

Thanks

Yambag Nelson

Jul 20, 2018, 3:31:17 PM7/20/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm doing the two day float with them where you stay at the state park next weekend. Would have to check where the put in and take out is but I will have a report then.

Bob Richey

Jul 23, 2018, 9:02:03 AM7/23/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The float from Bixler Bridget goes over some really great smallie water, but on the weekends the float from Bixler to the canoe ramp at mm 8 gets overrun with the inner tube hatch.   If you get an early start you probably can stay ahead of them.

tperkins

Jul 23, 2018, 9:09:13 AM7/23/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Yambag, I had missed that option. Looks like it would be a shorter float, which would allow me to work the water a bit better, will be interested to get your report. Good luck.

Bob, thanks for the intel. Luckily I will be able to go mid week, so hopefully avoid the tube hatch. Still have some time before I have to make a decision.

Thanks,

Thomas

Bob Richey

Jul 23, 2018, 9:57:18 AM7/23/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Mid-week, I think you would be fine.  The stretch from the bridge to mile marker 8 has some of the biggest smaillies in the S. Fork.

Gregg DiSalvo

Jul 23, 2018, 12:04:29 PM7/23/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The tubers sure can be annoying.  At least they are having fun, but avoiding them by fishing weekdays, early, or late in the day is certainly the best approach

Yambag Nelson

Aug 2, 2018, 4:24:24 PM8/2/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Following up on this since I floated the river last weekend.  Floated from mile 21 to 40.  Fishing was quite good with a number of 12-14 inch fish and relatively few smaller fish.  Since the water was up i stuck with bigger flies, both streamers and poppers.  This was the first time I had fished miles 34-40 and I would pick a float that avoids those stretches if possible.  34-36 is a lot of shallow riffles that didn't seem to hold a lot of fish, and 37-40 was a lot of slow deep water.  I honesty didn't fish much the last few miles so it may have produced, but it wasn't the type of water that typically produces smallmouth for me on the shenandoah.  The area around the state park has a lot of nice water and I got some really nice fish out of that section.

Front Royal is good operation but i haven't had bad experiences with any of them.

tperkins

Aug 2, 2018, 4:30:21 PM8/2/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for the follow up! My plans have changed but greatly appreciate the report. I still will be fishing but up in PA. I hope to get to Shenandoah sometime soon.