Trout Spey…

Brookes Outdoors

Apr 2, 2022, 6:24:56 PM4/2/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I recently gave trout Spey a try and then wrote about it for Virginia’s DWR Fishing Blog. I thought it might be of interest to some in the group who may be new to two-handed angling.

https://dwr.virginia.gov/blog/try-a-new-way-trout-spey/?utm_source=mailchimp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nftf&utm_content=nftf_fishing_march2022pt3

Pete Brookes
Brookes Outdoors
Award-Winning Outdoor Media

Jeff Cook

Apr 2, 2022, 6:38:30 PM4/2/22
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Brief, but a nice helpful read. Thanks, Doc.

On Apr 2, 2022, at 6:25 PM, Brookes Outdoors <brookes...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Peter Brookes

Apr 3, 2022, 1:37:23 PM4/3/22
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Jeff…I’m limited to about 600 words per editorial guidance.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/2ECA4995-C769-4350-B6DD-18546E4C5B01%40icloud.com.
--
Dr. Peter Brookes
Brookes Outdoors
Award-winning Outdoor Media
Member, Outdoor Writers Association of America
Washington, DC

Angelo Perez

Apr 3, 2022, 6:14:38 PM4/3/22
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone recommend a good leader and length for Shad?  I have a sink tip line and 9’ five weight rod/reel.  Thanks.

On Sat, Apr 2, 2022 at 6:38 PM 'Jeff Cook' via Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
--

Angelo Perez

Eric Farquharson

Apr 3, 2022, 7:30:30 PM4/3/22
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have used a depth charge line (sinking line) on the Occoquan and Potomac with pretty good luck.  Rob Snowhite has a great You Tube video on building a shad leader, but I just used a  tapered leader with a 1X tippet to a jig and a Snowwhite damsel as the trailer with some 10-12 lb tippett

Kevin KB

Apr 3, 2022, 8:12:33 PM4/3/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Yambag Nelson

Apr 4, 2022, 9:23:09 AM4/4/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
3 feet of 10lb straight.  No need to complicate it.

Todd Ringler

Apr 4, 2022, 10:16:42 AM4/4/22
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
3 feet of 10lb straight

This is where I typically end up with a full sink line.

But I wonder, since a sink tip might struggle to get deep enough, maybe a longer leader makes sense….

——————