Shenandoah wading?

Aden Tracy

Apr 18, 2014, 5:28:36 PM4/18/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have always wanted catch smallies on this river but have no boat. Are there good wading spots near Front Royal or Harpers Ferry?

Thanks.

Dave J

Apr 19, 2014, 7:55:20 AM4/19/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I live near the main stem of the Shenandoah not far from the Rt. 50 boat ramp. Finding spots to access and wade is not easy, especially this time of year when the water is higher. Summer time it's better, but without a boat your options will still be really limited. I wade here a lot but I use a kayak or canoe to get to those spots. I think the North Fork of the Shenandoah is generally much better for wading, probably better access, too. The South Fork may have some spots upstream from Front Royal and near Luray, but I'm not as familiar with those stretches.

I'm heading out there this afternoon. Water is high and stained... we'll see how it goes!

Adam Soller

Apr 19, 2014, 1:35:03 PM4/19/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Email or call Harry Murray and he will give you some pointers on where to wade on a given weekend. Many places tend to be near access points on both forks.

Aden

Apr 20, 2014, 8:32:44 PM4/20/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all.

HermanY

Apr 21, 2014, 2:36:51 PM4/21/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I fish the North Fork a lot, it's more wade friendly, even this time of year.  Public access points are from Woodstock south.  I find the mainstem to be a pain to wade even in summer.  Cover is minimal near the access points (Rt.7, Rt.50) and the river is big.  You can fish from shore right below Warren Dam, just off 340 in Front Royal, but it gets crowded with catfishers and doesn't look that wadeable.

Bob R

Apr 21, 2014, 9:28:57 PM4/21/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
There are several access points between Strausburg and Mount Jackson along rte11 that have decent wading water.  I can't recall the streets but all are easily accessible just off of rte.11.  At Murrays Fly Shop in Edinburg, they have a map on the wall with all of the access points of both forks clearly marked.  They will allow you to copy the map.  It has been a huge help to me as I'm just starting explore the fishing in the Shenandoah Valley and streams in the Park.

Bob

Mike Honcho

Apr 22, 2014, 8:04:58 AM4/22/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Aden,

1. Try the Andy Guest state park near bentonville. there is a trail that follows the river with access points along the way. I have had a lot of fun there. Watch the water level and try to fish without waders (if it is warm enough) for safety. Use a big clawdad - the smallmouth love it and a bigger fly will keep the panfish from driving you nuts. You will still catch them but not as many.
2. Do not rely on Harry Murray for an accurate river report. I will leave it at that.

Message has been deleted

McLane Stone

Apr 23, 2014, 12:11:38 AM4/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Aden,

Not sure when you were planning on hitting the Shenandoah, but I've been thinking about doing some wading there myself. I was going to hit the water early on Friday and take my time through the day. From what I've read, it sounds like the North Fork is fishable right now. I'd be stoked if you wanted to join. Let me know if you're interested.

McLane

darbrewe

Apr 23, 2014, 12:34:51 PM4/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
A super easy yet productive wade on the SF is at Karo landing. Walk  downriver (going towards FR) past the riffle. The pool at then end of the riffle always holds smallies and the river past that at normal levels is entirely wadable.
Disclaimer: I voluntarily give this info knowing this is a well known spot and not anyone's secret secret hole.