TPFR - Help me pick out my next fly rod!

Brian Cohen

Nov 28, 2017, 9:35:32 AM11/28/17
to Carl Z.
Good morning TPFR....

I have been messing around with my 9 foot, 6-weight Echo rod for the last year and a a half, catching lots of shad, the occasional bass, and a whole mess of bluegill.   I've also gone out for trout a few times, without much luck, and I'd like to change that.

The six-weight is great for fishing on the Potomac and the Shenandoah, but I am thinking about a smaller and lighter rod for smaller streams and trout.
I live in DC, and love to fish Rock Creek.   I like small streams -  fished once this past summer at Hemlock Overlook and thought it was great.  I mainly have time for trout at Holmes Run and Accotink, with the occasional foray further out.

So I'm thinking about a 3- or 4-weight, either 7' or 7'6", and I can't figure out which would be best.

Would be curious to hear your thoughts on pros and cons, or if there is another weight/length combo I should be considering.  And if you have any specific suggestions for a relatively inexpensive rod, please weigh in with them  (I am trying to keep the rod relatively inexpensive because I figure my money is better spent on 1) A good fly line, and 2) A casting lesson or two).

Thanks for sharing your expertise and experience,

Brian

Brian McGough

Nov 28, 2017, 9:39:54 AM11/28/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I like 4 weights for some of the smaller creeks and streams around here. I fish holmes and accotink as well...mostly with a 4. My personal fave right now is the Sage VXP, they are often found onsale for around 200-250 bucks since they are discontinued. I also have an allen compass 4 weight that I really enjoy...it just doesnt cast the same as the sage. Would be happy to let you cast any of them if you are interested.

Brian

Brian McGough

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Rob Snowhite

Nov 28, 2017, 10:26:11 AM11/28/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I’ve had my eye on a Blue Halo for small streams. I don’t own any glass rods, that would be my choice for what you are lookin at.

I have two new Risen rods to try out on the lawn today. Rather excited for new sticks. He price on Risen is very accommodating.

However asking all of us for a rod suggestion is like walking into a bar and asking for a drink.

Sent from my iPhone
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAKSiXHeN9%3D5GjMD934%3Dmk3Z7aLyKM9bymHxcTWHEeQm4kzRDyg%40mail.gmail.com.

Andrew Sarcinello

Nov 28, 2017, 11:02:33 AM11/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
My vote would be the 4 wt 7'6".  TFO makes very good, reasonably priced rods (under $200).  As for rod length, even on small streams I think longer rods are better for line control and brush can be avoided by using either a bow-and-arrow or roll cast, and a longer rod increases your distance on those casts.  The 4 wt will better handle any decent sized bass you may run into as well.

Misha Gill

Nov 28, 2017, 5:12:55 PM11/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I may be in the minority when I say that I prefer a fast action small stream rod (I have a 7'6" 3 wt), but here's my $0.02:

1) Bow and arrow casts are more accurate and the rebound of the rod does not tend to smack the ground as much. Accuracy is the more important consideration, but it is kind of disconcerting hitting your rod tip on rocks.

2) A fast action rod helps cast small streamers. Some days that's what the fish want. I have fished a kreelex on the Savage with my rod, and only really suffer a disadvantage at really long range, (for a streamer that would be 40'+) but that's too far out to be fishing a streamer for trout on the east coast anyways.

I've never felt the need for anything shorter than 7'6". I think it's a perfect length. If I had my druthers I would own a high end Orvis, Winston, Sage, what have you, in 7'6" 3wt but I have a Redington Path and I love it (Thanks Richie!).

Richard Farino

Nov 28, 2017, 5:30:32 PM11/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
More goodies coming soon.  You’ll have to come try em.

http://www.tpfr.org

Carl Z.

Nov 28, 2017, 8:27:36 PM11/28/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I like your decision process.  Buy the rod for the area you are going to fish next.

If you are going to primarily fish SNP and Brookies, then a 7'6" rod or smaller.  If you are going to mix in bigger streams (Yellow Breaches or other PA water) and 8' rod. I also think a 4wt is more useful.  A 3wt is a specialized tool.

   I like glass rods for 7.6" and below, though the Blue Halo is a bit sludgy.  There are some good options,
   The Cabela's CGR 6'6" 4wt is on clearance for $59.  Not a bad rod, especially at that price, but it is a bit shorter than I like.
   The Fenwick fenglass 7' 4wt is a bargain at $200.

   I would also consider an 8' 4wt if you are going to fish Pennsylvania creeks such as  Yellow Breeches, Letort, or up further in central PA.  The extra length is nice for nymphing.
   I like the Reddington Classic Trout in 8' 4wt which can be had for under $150.
   I would normally recommend an entry level orvis rod too, but they don't make an 8' 4wt in the Clearwater.

As for spending your money: I wouldn't go overboard on a line either.  A quality WF4 or DT4 can be had for $40.   And for a 4wt, the reel is usually a line holder.  There are good reels for under $80. Either clicker or disk drag.  Spend your money on a good pair of waders and wading boots.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Brian Cohen <brian....@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

James Ovelmen

Nov 29, 2017, 7:13:30 AM11/29/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Just wanted to give a Little Love to 3 weights, which is probably my favorite weight to fish with. I have a shorty bamboo 2-3 that I love for small trout streams and bluegill fishing and my dad has a whole quiver of various sage 3 weights some 8’ some shorter back home in Miami, which are great for small bass, peacocks, other exotics, I even caught big carp and baby tarpon on 3 weights. Generally I find the weight of the rod determines what size fly you can cast and impacts distance/wind, and while backbone is nice for pulling a fish out of heavy cover, you can catch big fish on light rods and little can still fish feel awesome. All of that is to say, I pick the rod based on what size fly I want to be able to throw and how far a cast i think i will need to make. I think a 3 wt makes a great small stream rod, and if I need to chuck something bigger than it can handle I usually break out my 5 wt.

Bobby Davis

Nov 29, 2017, 9:08:35 AM11/29/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I second Carl's opinion on the CGR...this might be the last batch they have since Bass Pro just bought Cabelas...they seem to be liquidating Cabelas brand products, and for ~50 dollars, you aren't going to find a better rod.  Easily one of the nicest casting rods I have casted, and I have casted the full spectrum of clunkers to rods that are too good for me.  Carl is right though, 6'6" is a little short...I have the 5-6 wt and 7-8 wt and my dad has one of the 2 wts.   Honestly, if you really want to save money on a rod, get an eagle claw featherlight...despite being ~25 dollars, they have a decent reputation around the interwebs.  Plus if you break it climbing around on rocks in Shenandoah you aren't going to be torn up about it.

Andrew Sarcinello

Nov 29, 2017, 11:24:17 AM11/29/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Agree with the fast action preference (especially since it sounds like small stream bass and bluegills are also a target) and that there is no need for shorter than 7'6".  I grew up fishing some TINY, extremely brushy trout streams in SE PA where larger streams all get too warm for wild trout (with a few notable exceptions). I had a 7'6" 5 wt and often wished I had a longer rod to drop flies around logs and bushes.  There are few situations on a trout stream where a bow and arrow, sidearm, or roll cast won't get the job done - it pays to develop skill with those techniques rather than spend more money on a specialty super short rod.  Which is not to say those who enjoy using short rods can't also do all of the above, but I tend to view those rods as a toy that I haven't found a need for yet in 8 years of small stream obsession-level fishing.

In my opinion SNP brookie streams are wide open casting compared to where I used to fish.  And on smaller bass/panfish creeks, you'll probably have even more space than a trout stream, so a somewhat longer fast action 4 wt is a good fit there.

Gregg DiSalvo

Nov 29, 2017, 12:17:53 PM11/29/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I third carl's suggestion on the Cabelas CGR, however I use a 3 weight for mountain streams.  It's an amazing rod for the price (can get it for 45 bucks around xmas sometimes). Its great for quick roll casting on the tiny shenandoah streams.  It can chuck dries fairly far, but accuracy takes a hit due to its slow action. Misha is spot on on the faster action rods.  I use my older 3 weight thats faster in the winter when i want to throw smaller streamers.  The 3 wt CGR gets a bit noodly when trying to throw heavier indicators and streamers.  That being said, it's fine for tossing an attractor as an indicator with a nymph dropper, just don't go too heavy.  If you are looking for a rod to hit a range of streams, or streams with a shot at some bigger fish, a 4 wt, as suggested by Andrew, would likely be a good choice.  I may soon go that route myself, but with accotink and holmes, a 3 weight is fine IMO.

Good luck!

tperkins

Nov 29, 2017, 1:19:11 PM11/29/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I really like my Redington 3wt butterstick. I have found that Glass will protect light tipper better than a fast action rod and has a surprising amount of backbone of and when you hook into a larger fish. Also I can cast streamers decently with it too.

Bryan Lanier

Nov 29, 2017, 3:22:25 PM11/29/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Anybody use a Tenkara rod for trout streams? Seems like a good choice for dead drifting. I got one for my birthday this year.

Bryan

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 1:19 PM, tperkins <thomas....@gmail.com> wrote:
I really like my Redington 3wt butterstick. I have found that Glass will protect light tipper better than a fast action rod and has a surprising amount of backbone of and when you hook into a larger fish. Also I can cast streamers decently with it too.
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Bobby Davis

Dalton Terrell

Nov 29, 2017, 4:08:40 PM11/29/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
*TurbineBlade voice*

Can you sweep spiderwebs out of lofted ceilings with a 6'6" fiberglass rod? I've found my Tenkara works much better for this.

Dalton

Bobby Davis

Nov 29, 2017, 4:13:32 PM11/29/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I stand corrected.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Brian Cohen

Nov 29, 2017, 10:39:00 PM11/29/17
to Carl Z.
Thanks all - this is really helpful advice...and I think has pointed towards either a 7"6" or 8'0" 4-weight...

(although I am now tempted to buy rod #3 at the same time, and get the Cabelas CGR too...)

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 4:13 PM, Bobby Davis <robert....@gmail.com> wrote:
I stand corrected.

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 3:24:12 PM UTC-5, Bobby Davis wrote:
Anything you can do with a tenkara rod you can do with a fly rod.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

robert mills

Nov 30, 2017, 9:13:32 AM11/30/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I just got back from PA small stream fishing where I primarily used a 13ft tenkara rod and a 5wt setup for single hand skagit on bigger water. I find that The casting methodology and simplicity of tenkara is easier with no casting room, and the 13ft rod is excellent for euro nymphing techniques. I managed to catch more and bigger fish than anyone else in my group, but that is more luck and I have more experience than the other two with me. I grabbed a beautiful 17in bow (on spruce creek near the rod and gun club) a 15in brown and lots of smaller fish.

I will also say when bushwhacking into really small water my little 6ft tenkara rod packs super small and is easier to manage without getting caught in everything.

I also have a 6ft 2wt CGR I used to fish rock creek when i lived in rockville, super fun rod, I actually spent yesterday making a 10ft skagit shooting head for it out of old wf7wt line, should be interesting

Jonathan Sondej

Dec 4, 2017, 11:16:50 AM12/4/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I fish Rock Creek with an Orvis Superfine 7'0' 4-weight that is about 12 years old, and it's a good length for the close quarters casting under the trees. Progressive flex makes it good for roll casting in these conditions as well. The bluegill and redbreasts are still plenty of fun on a 4wt, but it also has enough just enough backbone for small woolly buggers to get you into the smallmouth bass that like to hang out in there, as well as the occasional small channel cat surprise.

You could probably find a similar / better rod for half the price, or find a used Superfine if you like a progressive action, but yes a short 4wt has been perfect for my Rock Creek fishing.