Mop Fly article in the Wall Street Journal

Dalton Terrell

Oct 14, 2016, 1:15:46 PM10/14/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Interesting article about the mop fly in today's Wall Street Journal: http://www.wsj.com/articles/fly-fishing-renegades-are-cleaning-upwith-kitchen-mops-1476450649

Color me ignorant, but I hadn't heard about this replacement of the squirmy wormy.

Dalton

Dalton Terrell

Oct 14, 2016, 1:43:30 PM10/14/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Sorry, try this link if the article is behind the pay wall.

Charlie Church

Oct 14, 2016, 1:46:40 PM10/14/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
That was a pretty cool article. It has me wondering if you could do anything to target saltwater species. Mop Worms? Shrimp Patterns? Eel pattern?

Kevin Huntington

Oct 14, 2016, 2:49:33 PM10/14/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've caught many a trout on the mop fly.  It's a pretty big thing out west from what I've heard.  My buddy once caught me snipping tentacles off his bathroom rug that look exactly the same - light blue color is money.

There's also an even more questionable pattern that fuses the mop and the infamous egg.  Also fished it, also slays fish. Idk about you but I have no qualms fishing these patterns.

Carl Smolka

Oct 14, 2016, 4:52:56 PM10/14/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, carl....@verizon.net

There was an article in Hatches in 2012, http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2012/07/19/glove-bug/, using this material and we have tied a number of these in hot pink for Casting for Recovery over the years.

Carl S

--
http://www.tpfr.org

namfos

Oct 15, 2016, 7:30:30 AM10/15/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
here it is

Mark
Fly Fishing Renegades Are Cleaning Up—With Kitchen Mops - WSJ.pdf

CaseyP

Oct 15, 2016, 8:16:42 PM10/15/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose (not enough accents on this keyboard to spell that correctly!)
Cotton fibers are magic under water, hence the HONEY BUG fly of yore, made with cotton chenille. That product is all but extinct, though this fellow used to sell it. http://www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com/Honey_Bug_Page.html

Cotton mops and rugs (the kind with TENTACLES--thanks, Kevin!) are our modern source of colored cotton fibers.
Bigger, fatter, better, right?

tperkins

Oct 25, 2016, 7:23:52 PM10/25/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Just bought material to tie it. Had two visit two hardware stores to find the best quality "hide".

Rob Snowhite

Oct 25, 2016, 7:36:02 PM10/25/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If you want to tie a tiny one (think Caddis) Shoppers Food Warehouse sells a dog toy with the same material but about 1cm. Only in orange.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Thomas Perkins

Oct 26, 2016, 8:27:14 AM10/26/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Tied up a few quickly this morning. Used some dubbing to dress them up a bit.
image1.JPG

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.