Shad Fly Suggestion…

Brookes Outdoors

Apr 30, 2022, 6:57:33 AM4/30/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
For those venturing out this weekend, I had good success recently with a “If it ain’t chartreuse, it ain’t no use” clouser trailed off the bend in the hook by a green damsel fly nymph.  (Pretty sure it was one of Rob Snowhite’s…)

I boated 20+ Hickories (a few in the 16+” range) with that set-up in about 2 hours and had a number of double hook-ups. Sadly—but not surprisingly—didn’t land any of the doubles.

Sigh…

The majority of the hookups were on the nymph, including a number of hookups when I was just getting ready to recast, so the fly was moving up through the water column.  An almost trout-like situation, which really surprised me. My suggestion would be to pause momentarily before recasting.

Outfit and tackle? 8-wt Orvis with a full sink bank shot line.  Straight 20# fluoro to the first fly and 10# to the second fly.

Good luck!

Pete

Dr. Peter Brookes
Brookes Outdoors
Award-winning Outdoor Media
“DC Foreign Policy Nerd by Day; VA Outdoor Scribbler by Night”