The Gunpowder

Andy Thomas

Apr 27, 2015, 11:24:27 AM4/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I made the trek from DC up to the Gunpowder on Saturday.  It was well worth it.  I had a banner day catching 42 brown trout.  Before you ask, yes, I actually removed the hook by hand from 42, and missed a few more.  They all weren't large, but they still had a mouth!  I did catch some nice ones though.
image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG
image4.JPG

Misha Gill

Apr 27, 2015, 1:10:43 PM4/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Wow, what a day! Were you nymphing or did they take dries? The brownies in the Gunpowder sure are pretty.

TurbineBlade

Apr 27, 2015, 1:56:50 PM4/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Well done!

Gene

Andy Thomas

Apr 27, 2015, 2:08:14 PM4/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I was actually fishing a wet fly.  I only saw one rise all day and I promptly switched to a dry and caught him.  Then I went back to the swinging the wet fly and proceeded to catch fish until dark.  I will add, always be aware of the weather.  The fish feed differently depending on whether its sunny, overcast, rainy, etc.

Marek Rich

Apr 28, 2015, 10:19:56 AM4/28/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

That’s not a good day, that’s a great day on the Gunpowder! Well done….

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Joe Mathews

Apr 30, 2015, 9:39:57 AM4/30/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That's a great day on the Gunpowder, well done!  What type of wet fly you were fishing?  A soft hackle of some sort?

TurbineBlade

Apr 30, 2015, 9:52:32 AM4/30/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
No!  Soft hackles are for old dudes and they don't work.  Nothing to see here folks -- he was probably using some kind of parachute or jig-style, tungsten nymph on a Czech rig.

Gene

Andy Thomas

Apr 30, 2015, 10:08:05 AM4/30/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Ole' Gene, the eternal pessimist. I was using a casting net...illegal but very effective.

Actually, it was a soft hackle march brown, much like this one.

Message has been deleted

Andy Thomas

Apr 30, 2015, 10:09:32 AM4/30/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

namfos

May 1, 2015, 10:16:23 AM5/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
At least he's not practicing the redneck way of fishing

Mark (old dude who likes soft hackles and wingless wets)

;-)

Andy Thomas

May 1, 2015, 11:37:02 AM5/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Namfos,

Are you referring to "mass kill'en and good eat'en", the South Sauty Heave, or both?  I was once a practitioner of those methods but I have since seen the light. :)

Bob Smith

May 2, 2015, 7:35:41 AM5/2/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That's a traditional March Brown wet fly, not a Soft Hackle style fly, at least to this old fart, who remembers when traditional wet flys were a go to pattern.

namfos

May 2, 2015, 9:54:13 AM5/2/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The Redneck Way of Fishing as described by former NYT editor Howell Raines in his book Fly Fishing Through the Midlife Crisis involves the use of Alfred Nobel's invention. Seeing the light I think was one of Raines' main themes. ;-)

Mark

Carl Z.

May 3, 2015, 8:47:35 PM5/3/15
On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 9:54 AM, namfos <mark....@gmail.com> wrote:
 involves the use of Alfred Nobel's invention

Reminds me of the punchline of a joke,  "So do you want to talk, or fish?"

Andy Thomas

May 4, 2015, 10:07:24 AM5/4/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Indeed it was.  I love that book, particularly so since I'm a Mississippi native turned fly fishing enthusiast.

namfos

May 4, 2015, 11:26:28 AM5/4/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I thought Raines's book was okay.  I read it not long after publication (93? 95?) At the time I just found his jabs and pokes at Ronald Reagan to be superfluous, unnecessary and beneath the dignity of no less a Timesman than the editorial page editor at the time. I suppose he got his comeuppance with the Jayson Blair brouhaha.

Mark

Bob Smith

May 4, 2015, 12:19:29 PM5/4/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Raines being a "Timesman" pretty much made it mandatory for him to take shots at Reagan (or whichever Repubican who was holding office at the time he was writing).

Joe Mathews

May 4, 2015, 5:20:08 PM5/4/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Very interesting, Andy.  Way to think outside the box.  I've been skunked on the Gunpowder on many occasions, but it looks like you figured it out this time!

namfos

May 5, 2015, 10:46:29 AM5/5/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yah, fer sure, Bob. ;-)