Florida Salt Water suggestions....

peter odell

Dec 13, 2018, 8:11:07 AM12/13/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm headed to Florida in February for a couple of weeks.  I'll have time near Islamorda and Gulfport (St Pete) for fishing on my own.  Have a guide to do Everglades snook and tarpon.

Any suggestions for fishable beaches appreciated.

Pete

Yambag Nelson

Dec 13, 2018, 3:58:40 PM12/13/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Wade fishing around islamorada isn't very good but there are some spots. A few you might want to try: flats behind long key state park, beach at the end of seven mile bridge, Bahia Honda state park are a few off a f the top of my head. There is a flat at mm 76 that people fish but I've never caught anything there. Anne's beach is another spot.

Andrew Sarcinello

Dec 13, 2018, 4:32:51 PM12/13/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Last time I was down there I fished some flats off the Skyway on my way to the Tampa airport.  It's rumored to be good for redfish but all I caught was a puffer fish.  Easy access and easy wading though.

Tom Guffain

Dec 14, 2018, 1:00:15 PM12/14/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was just at St Pete in Oct and had good luck finding Snook walking along Pass-a-Grille beach.  The Snook were right in the surf zone.  There is plenty of public parking right along the beach on Gulf Way.  Also had great fun fishing the dock lights at night with Capt Dave Dant (727-744-9039).  A good fly shop for local info is Tampa Bay On the Fly.

On Thursday, December 13, 2018 at 8:11:07 AM UTC-5, peter odell wrote:
I'm headed to Florida in February for a couple of weeks.  I'll have time near Islamorda and Gulfport (St Pete) for fishing on my own.  Have a guide to do Everglades snook and tarpon.

Pete

Nels Frostenson

Dec 14, 2018, 5:27:17 PM12/14/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I just moved from Florida 3 months ago. Boca Grande and Anna Maria Island have some great flats and beach fishing, otherwise, most of the water until you get to Dunedin is way too busy.

Lukas D

Dec 18, 2018, 10:29:01 AM12/18/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was down there around thanks giving this year. Back then there were still spurs of red tide in the opening of the bay but now that it's pretty much gone you'll have a lot more healthy water to fish. I highly recommend going up to Weedon Island Preserve and renting a kayak for a day, it's a super cool spot and has a healthy population of fish. Picnic island is kind of pressured but it's always a good backup if nowhere else is working. I would definitely contact one of the fly shops when you get there to get more info from someone who lives there and goes out more often.