Reel and Rod matching help

Melser Bonilla

Apr 25, 2015, 12:19:27 AM4/25/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have a BattenKill LA V reel with a 10 wt fly rod. I want to ditch the 10 wt rod and get an 8 wt rod but I don't know if the BattenKill LA V (rated for 9,10, and 11 wt) will  work with and 8 wt rod. You're help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Carl Z.

May 1, 2015, 7:00:40 PM5/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the late response, but there is no problem using a slightly larger reel.  It might be a tad big, but it's not a particularly heavy reel.  If I were fishing a 5/6 wt rod, I would probably buy a new reel (ok, I use almost any excuse to buy a new reel) but just try your reel for a while and if you don't like it, get a new one.
Just take of the existing line in a nice coil and put it in a ziplock bag (for when you want to use a 10wt again) and put an 8wt line on the existing backing.  It won't fill the reel quite as much, but it will work fine.  Fish it for a season and if it is too heavy, then you can buy a new one.

Trying to use a smaller reel with a heavier line can cause problems because there often just isn't enough room on the reel for the larger line (with backing).

--
http://www.tpfr.org