Harper's Ferry

Kyle Murphy

May 1, 2017, 7:31:41 AM5/1/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Good evening everyone,

I am thinking about heading out to Harper's Ferry at some point to try for some smallmouth. Is there a good location to park and wade without a guide? I also read you need to check the flows before going, what should I be looking for?

I know there are float trips available but wanted to get out there once before booking.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Kyle

namfos

May 2, 2017, 8:47:33 AM5/2/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Best fishing around Harpers and on the Potomac  is when the Point of Rocks gage is 2.00 and dropping, probably at it's best when lower than 1.75.  This, http://amzn.to/2p4vRAY is a helpful map As is this, http://bit.ly/2p4sh9V

I like fishing the Weverton sector - I park at the end of Keep Tryst Road - https://binged.it/2qtq49l There's also The Needles right below Dam 3 which is right at the foot of the town of Harpers Ferry and above where the Shenandoah enters. Parking can be challenging on weekends on Sandy Hook Road on the Maryland side.

Mark

Flyrodva

May 2, 2017, 1:38:44 PM5/2/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Kyle,
That's good info from Namfos. I've both waded and floated. I was planning to go the next week or two. When are you thinking of going?

Kyle Murphy

May 9, 2017, 10:55:23 PM5/9/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for the info! I was thinking of trying to go in a couple weeks. Trying to find out the best place to wade.

arthur...@gmail.com

May 9, 2017, 11:02:50 PM5/9/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The Brunswick MD area is pretty good.