Rose River Farm Trip

James Ovelmen

Sep 1, 2014, 10:51:34 AM9/1/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
TPFRs,

My parents, wife, and I have booked the Rose River Farm Pond yurt for Sept 13, 14, and 15th. My dad and I plan to fish Rose River on the property Sunday afternoon and Tuesday morning and the pond whenever we have a chance, we would appreciate any wise words from member who have fished the privates section before. Flies, spots, techniques, fish stories, really anything. We also have Monday wide open to do stuff with the ladies, I think we will visit some vineyards, but if anyone could recommend none fishing things I to do in the area and places to eat, that would be greatly appreciated also, thanks in advance!

I plan to write up the trip when we return for the group!

Don Rose

Sep 1, 2014, 11:36:54 AM9/1/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
James

My wife and I will be there the nights of the 14th and 15th, in the hill top yurt. I will fish the river with George, the guide for the river on the 15th.

I have fished there one other time, with George. We started at the down stream end of the river. Black and brown wooly buggers were the most productive flies we used. Caught lots of nice size trout.

A half a day with the guide can make your time on the river very productive.

Good luck and hopefully we will see each other on the pond.

Don
Sent from my iPad
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Rob Snowhite

Sep 1, 2014, 2:18:39 PM9/1/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm a big fan of damsel nymphs on Tenkara for the ponds. Fish may seem selective but will eat just about anything. Tell Doug I said hi.

Sent from my iPhone

Brad

Sep 2, 2014, 7:53:11 AM9/2/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Don't go without black and tan woolie buggers. Also bring small midges, both nymphs and drys. And San Juan worms. Green caddis nymphs are something i would have too.

As far as eats in the area, the options are fairly limited. Graves Mountain Lodge is right up the road. They have great apples and a restaurant that serves down home Southern food. I've never eaten there. People love it or hate it.

If you run into Madison there are a couple of options - The Pig and Steak and a sandwich shop whose name I can't recall but it has good sandwiches. I can't personally vouch for the Pig and Steak. I've heard mixed things. Sandwich shop is excellent. Beyond that you either have to drive to Charlottesville or up to Sperryville. Thornton River Grill in Sperryville can be excellent. I haven't eaten there in a couple of years so YMMV.

Frankly, I recommend grabbing an armload of groceries and self catering. His kitchens are very well equipped and who would want to leave!

On Monday, September 1, 2014 3:18:39 PM UTC-3, Rob Snowhite wrote:
I'm a big fan of damsel nymphs on Tenkara for the ponds. Fish may seem selective but will eat just about anything. Tell Doug I said hi.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 1, 2014, at 10:51 AM, James Ovelmen <jove...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> TPFRs,
>
> My parents, wife, and I have booked the Rose River Farm Pond yurt for Sept 13, 14, and 15th. My dad and I plan to fish Rose River on the property Sunday afternoon and Tuesday morning and the pond whenever we have a chance, we would appreciate any wise words from member who have fished the privates section before. Flies, spots, techniques, fish stories, really anything. We also have Monday wide open to do stuff with the ladies, I think we will visit some vineyards, but if anyone could recommend none fishing things I to do in the area and places to eat, that would be greatly appreciated also, thanks in advance!
>
> I plan to write up the trip when we return for the group!
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

HeaveToo

Sep 2, 2014, 9:00:22 AM9/2/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That is a beautiful place.  I have fished it a few times and it fishes well.  I had a lot of luck with a streamer that I tied.  I also lived in that area for several years and I was a trooper assigned to that area.

As far as eats, there are a ton of places if you don't mind a few minute drive.

On Route 29 in the southern part of Madison County there is a restaurant called the "Bavarian Chef."  That is a pretty good place.

In the Town of Culpeper you can find anything you want.  There are two restaurants on East Davis Street worth mentioning.  The first is called "It's About Thyme."  The next is "Fotis."  Not sure if I spelled that right but it was opened by a chef that worked at President Madison Inn (well known place to eat).

Not far from Rose River farms you can catch the Rapidan River in the national park and fish for natives.  You are not too far from the middle stretches of the Rapidan River and there is good Smallmouth Fishing in the area.  If you are able to fish it, the dam in the Town of Rapidan use to hold nice smallmouth (my biggest landed smallmouth came from there).

You will find a Grocery Store in the Town of Maidson off of Route 29, across from the Highschool.  It is a Food Lion.

There are a few things to do  in the area.  Graves Mountain Lodge is a nice place to visit.  There is good hiking right down the road at White Oak Canyon Falls.

Josh Cohn

Sep 2, 2014, 10:16:43 AM9/2/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Read the report Doug posts on his website where you booked the Cabins, I've been several times and only brought what he listed.
Caught more than my fair share of trout, but I'm sure all your classic eastern trout patterns should work great.

Andy Thomas

Sep 4, 2014, 3:41:44 PM9/4/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If the ladies like hiking, I would second the White Oak Canyon hike.  There is also the Old Rag Mountain trail very close.  Basically, take a right 643 after the farm and then veer left onto Weakley Hollow Rd.  Follow that for 10-15 and you will run into the parking and trail head for White Oak Canyon.  Keep going another five minutes and it will dead end at another parking area for Old Rag Mountain.  The parking spot marked Whiteoak Canyon is right beside the road on the left if you follow Weakley Hollow.  http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/whiteoak_canyon_area.pdf

You can also fish the Cedar run and Whiteoak falls along the trail.  It's got native brookies and some nice holes.

James Ovelmen

Sep 23, 2014, 8:18:47 PM9/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
My parents, wife and I ended up having a great weekend. We drove down Sunday, took a solid 2 hours from silver spring. We got to the yurts around 2 pm, unloaded, got on our waders and other fly fishing paraphanalia and met Gary, the guide, by 3 pm right on the river. We were a bit down when we met Gary because we were an hour late for a half day trip, but then he starts warning us this could be a very tough day of fishing. The weather has been a little too warm lately and the water level is way down so the fish are extremely skittish. He was so worried he suggested I not use my fly line which was a bright yellow and use his dark green instead. Fortunately his fears proved unfounded. In the course of about 3 and a half hours I landed 35 rainbows, with a few in the 18-20 inch range. It was the best trout fishing I have ever had. I caught them on a beetle, stimulators, and a rose river special woolly bugger. My dad fished another best and got in around 20 fish, but bigger on average and all on dry flies. It was truly an amazing afternoon and Gary was a great guide. He credited the bit of overcast we had to the good fishing.

We then retired to the yurt and grilled out. The yurts are great, big, comfy, full kitchen and a great view. Only complaint is the beds are pretty I firm.

Monday we explored culpepper and toured the Copper Fox distiller, a small batch whiskey and gin maker who provides Founding Farmers their house liqours. We we're soak impressed we left with 3 bottles.

My dad and I hit the river again on Tuesday morning for another half day with Gary. Fishing was not as good, but we still both got ask lotof nice fish, I even got my biggest brook trout ever!

I can't recommend rose river or Gary as a guide enough, I guess that is why you have to reserve A spot so far in advance!

James Ovelmen

Sep 24, 2014, 8:31:02 AM9/24/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Please excuse the typos and terrible grammar in my previous post. I typed it up on my ipad while trying to entertain my dog and enjoying a glass of Copper Fox Rye on the rocks.

TurbineBlade

Sep 24, 2014, 12:15:11 PM9/24/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That's "yurt dialing" to us.  When you're drunk, in a yurt tripping over mangy dogs and bottles of Old Crow, looking (in vain) for a secluded place to throw-up, and then you find your laptop!

That's how Beth and I roll in our yurt -- good times!

Gene