Harper's Ferry Trip Recommendations?

275 vues

William Hea

non lue,
18 mai 2017, 13:30:4718/05/2017
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey all,

Long-time lurker. I'm taking my girlfriend camping at Harper's Ferry labor day weekend and would love to get some fishing in. I'll be flyfishing, she'll be spinning. Do you have a recommended spot for wading and going after smallmouth? Our campsite is the Harper's Ferry KOA in WV and would prefer to buy 1 fishing license for the weekend (only have a DC license).

Also, any fly/gear recommendations? I'm planning to bring:
  • 6 wt for me (her spincast will be setup for flies)
  • Floating line
  • Poppers
  • Clousers
  • Woolly Buggers
If there's any non-fishing must do's in Harpers Ferry I'm all ears too.

-Will

Yambag Nelson

non lue,
18 mai 2017, 14:35:4718/05/2017
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Why would you set her spincast outfit up for flies?  If she is going to spinfish there are more effective ways.

TurbineBlade

non lue,
18 mai 2017, 15:31:4518/05/2017
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Ditto, but I assume you mean a bubble and float set-up (which I've heard about but never used...though I certainly have used weighted bobbers and bait, which is more or less the same idea).

Honestly, I would just give her some 1/16 - 1/8 oz spinners like roostertails, or beetlespins, and then some tube jigs and marabou jigs in a weight that can be cast with a regular spinning outfit.  The biggest mistake rookies make with spinning reels in my opinion is cranking the bail shut instead of doing it by hand.  The next would probably be cranking with loose line in front of the spool, which lays line everywhere but on the spool and tangles.

A light action rod with 4-6 pound test will throw that stuff easily.

I actually think it's easier and (in my experience) more effective to detect strikes and catch a lot of fish using fly tackle when fishing rivers like where you will be, but I can't think of anything easier than spinner fishing for someone who is less familiar with working lures and detecting strikes, etc. sometimes those darn things will outfish anything else --

Gene

Richard Farino

non lue,
18 mai 2017, 16:00:3118/05/2017
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Will,

Access point are easy to find of Google Earth.  Zoom in and you’ll see pulloffs or parking areas along the roads that parallel both rivers there.

Check the river levels before you decide to go wading.  We normally tell everyone who checks the Little Falls gauge that when it gets to 3 feet, the entire river is clear and wadable.  If you’re checking the Point Of Rocks gauge, 2 feet or lower is safe.

If you’re only interested in one license, you have to figure out where you’ll be fishing the most.  Maryland owns the river all the way to the VA & WV riverbanks, and you can fish either shoreline with either license (f you’re above the Shenandoah - MD or WV, below the Shenandoah - MD or VA).  You mentioned staying at the Harper’s KOA – if you’re going to be walking down to the Shenandoah, you’ll need either a WV or VA license.

Flies of you include what you mentioned, but also bring heavily weighted Klawdad’s or bigger crayfish imitations.  10-12lb leaders for you.  For the girlfriend, you’ll want her to use teaser tubes on jigs with weed guards.  #1/0-3/0 in 1/8-1/6oz.  Go to White Fly Outfitters and ask for that stuff.  Talk to Brian about what you’re doing.  8-10lb test mono if you’re using a spinning rod.  Be prepared to lose rigs, so don’t stray too far from her.

Stuff to do other than fishing – Hike the Maryland Heights trail to the top of the mountain across from Harper’s for free – bring lots of water.  Rent an inner tube from River Riders and float the river to see it up close – they also have a zip line and other stuff to do.  Take a walking tour of Harper’s Ferry too – it’s an awesome old town to explore.

Hope you have fun.

http://www.tpfr.org

William Hea

non lue,
19 mai 2017, 20:45:5819/05/2017
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks, all! I definitely have some tubes and jigs lying around I can bring for the spincast. I'll check out White Fly Outfitters while I'm up there.

Rob Snowhite

non lue,
19 mai 2017, 21:08:1419/05/2017
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Flip some rocks and find hellgrammites. Put them on the lure hooks and baboom!

Sent from my iPhone

DaveSurfs

non lue,
19 mai 2017, 23:38:4719/05/2017
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Solid recommendations across the board and i would certainly echo Rich's recommendation re: White Fly. Brian's insight and customer service are top notch.

WRT spinning rig, my go to is a 4in Zoom lizard watermelon red fleck Texas rigged with a 1/16th or 1/8bullet weight. Its weedless and if you show her a simple fan casting pattern she can cover a lot of water and free you up to cast a flyrod.

Tight Lines!
Dave

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 1:30:47 PM UTC-4, William Hea wrote:

Ben H

non lue,
24 mai 2017, 16:30:3824/05/2017
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Small 4" senkos are another great weedless option w spinning gear. Unless the water is real deep, no weight required.

William Hea

non lue,
29 mai 2017, 21:39:1029/05/2017
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for the help all! The Shenandoah and Potomac were too high to fish from rain, but it did make river rafting more fun! White Fly Outfitters was a great shop and picked up some tying materials.

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 1:30:47 PM UTC-4, William Hea wrote:
Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur
Transférer
0 nouveau message