3wt Water Suggestions?

Forrest Allen

Mar 24, 2015, 1:34:31 PM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Good afternoon folks,

My galfriend just got me an awesome new 8'8" 3 wt rod and reel for my bday. Would anyone care to share a suggestion or two about your favorite waters for using a 3 wt - from the Potomac to the Gunpowder to the Cowpasture? I've fished a good number of waters in that area, but always with a 4 or 5 wt.

No need to give away any honeyholes - just looking for some good spots to get a bend in the rod!

Thanks in advance.

Forrest

Jeffrey Silvan

Mar 24, 2015, 1:36:38 PM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I fish both the Gunpowder and the SNP streams with a 3 weight. It's perfect for the SNP streams, though.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Andy Thomas

Mar 24, 2015, 1:52:53 PM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I fish the GP all the time with a 3 wt.  SNP streams are great as well as Big Hunting Creek.  To be honest, a 3wt is perfect for any mountain brook trout streams.  There are tons in SNP, many over in the George Washington National Forest along the VA and WV state lines, and  in in the Savage River State Forest out in western MD (these are all mountain streams that feed into the main Savage River above the reservoir or directly into the reservoir.

You could also use it around the C&O canal and the Potomac runoffs for bream or small bass.  They make for a fun fight on a 3wt.

Terry C

Mar 24, 2015, 2:40:26 PM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Your girl friend bought you a fly rod. Marry that girl. 👰

SNP =. Rose, Hazle,Hughes. And many more.

Yambag Nelson

Mar 24, 2015, 2:53:00 PM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It should do well on any of the trout streams in the area.  I don't love the river, but that should be a great rod for the gunpowder.  I would also think that would be a great rod for somewhere like Mossy.  Places where a light rod is great and where the length will be an advantage in mending..

Steven Butler

Mar 24, 2015, 3:36:17 PM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Good weight for SNP, beware that pole length though. It's doable, but a 7' 6" or shorter pole would be a lot fewer headaches.

Rob Snowhite

Mar 24, 2015, 4:11:48 PM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Anyone else geeked out to know what rod make and reel make and model?

I like small rods for urban creeks. Anything from Snakeden in Reston to Holmes in Falls Church. And I like my 3wt for Big Hunting Creek.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Bob Sivinski

Mar 24, 2015, 4:37:21 PM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I use my 3 wt for almost everything around here.  Some of my favorites are Difficult Run, Riverbend in the summer, and small ponds for bass and bluegill.

Steven Butler

Mar 24, 2015, 7:22:46 PM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Rob, people actually fish snakeden in reston? I know they had the kids trout event recently but didn't know that it was a spot people go otherwise.

Rob Snowhite

Mar 24, 2015, 7:33:47 PM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Steve - other end. It goes all the way to Difficult Run. Beavers spotted recently on the Glade so hopefully more ponds forming soon below their confluence. Difficult run is a good one too.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 24, 2015, at 7:22 PM, Steven Butler <butler...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Rob, people actually fish snakeden in reston? I know they had the kids trout event recently but didn't know that it was a spot people go otherwise.
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Forrest Allen

Mar 24, 2015, 10:14:51 PM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I appreciate some ideas about specific streams. Ive fished a couple of em before, borrowing a 4 wt and using my 5 wt. I was hoping for more particulars than SNP, because I know there are plenty of streams to be fished all over the place in the park. I just want to be able to pick a couple good ones to break it in. I've never hit Big Hunting Creek, so based on several recommendations, that may be my next stop. The hazel was on my list before, but its always been bad conditions when I intended to go.

Rob, its a scott rod and ross reel. Recommended to my gal by a guide out west in Crested Butte (headed there to test the rod in a couple months actually). I plan on using it on some of the waters you frequent around here, for some bream and bass. I'm slightly concerned about going after too big of fish with it, since I snapped the tip of my 5 wt on a carp recently - orvis quickly replaced it.

Following peoples posts on here is helpful for identifying productive creeks, rivers, and regions throughout the year - so thanks again!

Forrest

namfos

Mar 25, 2015, 8:56:41 AM3/25/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If you wish to pursue panfish, you could cast from the towpath on the C&O up at Widewater between Great Falls in and Anglers.

Mark

Andy Thomas

Mar 25, 2015, 1:28:16 PM3/25/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Particular streams?  Rapidan, Rose, White Oak, Cedar Run--all near Syria, VA.  All fairly well known.  There are many more but those will get you started.