Rock Creek and Holmes Run

Bruce Mathews

Jul 13, 2019, 11:25:15 PM7/13/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Folks,
I need a little help with Rock Creek.  I am picking up my 5yr old granddaughter from a summer camp at the National Zoo next week at 3PM each day with about 3 hours to entertain her before my daughter gets home from work.   I thought I could take her to rock creek with a cane pole and bait worms for some bluegills.   I am looking for help on where its legal to fish and places where parking is close to the fishing.  Since I live in VA I gave never followed real close any of the discussions on fishing Rock Creek.  This would be fairly open easy access fishing with no wading.   Any help?

On another thought, I took two grand children to Holmes Run today with cane poles and bait worms.  We took the first right path down to the creek and I couldn't  bait two hooks and take little bluegills off fast enough.  If any one needs to take kids fishing I would highly recommend Holmes Run.  We were under shade with fairly cool water in the creek.  I am sure all the trout that might have been put in the creek are gone unless there is a spring feeding part of the creek.  It would take a lot of investigation with a thermometer to find the spring.   Noce place and better than Cook lake that I went to recently with the granddaughter I want to take to Rock Creek.

Jamie Carracher

Jul 14, 2019, 7:06:42 AM7/14/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey Bruce, Rock Creek is a little tricky. The best spots require a little bushwhacking and even getting your feet wet. Fishing is only legal south of Porter Street. It’s a bummer because there is a lot of interesting water north of there I’d like to explore just to see what’s in there. There are some decent spots right near the bridge that you could walk to from the zoo. You’d need a rod and reel that can get a little distance, though.

Last week I poked around the creek on the zoo property right by the parking lots. There are some spots along there that could work but I haven’t been able to figure out if it’s legal. Several years ago I had a zoo police officer tell me I couldn’t fish on the creek behind the tunnel (when the bike path was open). Maybe someone else knows?

The tidal basin could be a good alternative and is only a couple minutes from the zoo. It’s much more accessible. Plus there is food and bathrooms.

velazquez

Jul 14, 2019, 7:43:23 PM7/14/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
There is a big pool under the p street bridge that tends to have fish but it’s a bit grungy, agreed on bushwhacking, maybe where the canal dumps in us easier.

John Hammill

Jul 14, 2019, 8:06:48 PM7/14/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If they ever re-open the paved trail that follows the bend of rock creek just north of the Calvert street bridge (if you were going northbound on Rockcreek Parkway, the now closed trail used to start right at the mouth of the tunnel, followed NNW and then SE along rock creek, and ended where the tunnel ends), you’ll have easy access to plenty of places to get a full cast, a sidearm, a flick, or a roll cast to catch bluegills and sunnies, large mouth, small mouth, perch, and monster channel cats that’ll break off the tip of your four weight before you get a chance to cut tippett. I usually used clousers and buggers.

See cro-magnon map below.

image1.jpeg

Bruce Mathews

Jul 15, 2019, 4:09:41 PM7/15/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all for the info but I think I'll duck back over to Va to Holmes run.   In spite of the memorial bridge construction it's not too bad a drive.  No serious bushwhacking needed.   Fished  Cook Lake Sunday with grandkids and right on the solunar schedule the little blue gills turned on.  I am on the back edge of the hot time tomorrow but better on wednesday ( Tide times and charts for Alexandria, Virginia and weather forecast for fishing in Alexandria in 2019
)  it's fun when they catch them faster than you can take the off.
--
http://www.tpfr.org