SNP is in good shape

Terry C

Mar 17, 2015, 5:48:31 PM3/17/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Had a great day in the park today. Brookies looking up. 🎏
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Houli

Mar 20, 2015, 12:46:01 PM3/20/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to take my kids (2 and 4 years old) on an easy hike in SNP .... anyone have a suggestion that may have a couple pools to cast to? I have a backpack for the 2 year old so he won't be walking the entire time.

Thanks.

Ryan

Danny Barrett

Mar 20, 2015, 4:08:52 PM3/20/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
white oak canyon is pretty. and not a bad hike.,
Had a great day in the park today. Brookies looking up.  🎏

--
http://www.tpfr.org

emoji_u1f38f.png

Trent Jones

Mar 23, 2015, 9:37:28 PM3/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
What did you take them on Terry? My buddy and I took a last minute trip to SNP Monday, lots of fish on nymphs, and quite a few on Quill Gordons, #14. The takes on dries were in slow motion because the water was so cold. Did you get stream temp reading? I could not find my thermometer in my haste to get ready. We also saw a few stoneflies....

On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 5:48:31 PM UTC-4, Terry C wrote:
P316010111.jpg

Jason Hanerfeld

Mar 24, 2015, 1:34:21 AM3/24/15

On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 2:48:31 PM UTC-7, Terry C wrote:
Had a great day in the park today. Brookies looking up.  🎏

I fished the rose river last tuesday and had great weather.  Was about 70 degrees mid day.  I fished for about 5 hours and caught at least 40 brookies all on prince nymphs.  At one point I think I went 5 straight casts in the same pool with hook ups.  I tossed some small streamers in some of the larger pools, but the indicator nymph set up was the way to go.  I hadn't fished the SNP wince December, and I noticed that I was catching much larger fish this time around.  Many of the fish I was pulling out were in the 8-11 inch range, which is fairly large for SNP.  All in all, it was a great day and I was amped that I got to try out new 3 wt.  '

tight lines.

TurbineBlade

Mar 24, 2015, 5:32:53 AM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
We had a decent day last Sunday out there -- tried a new stream and got fish on dries (and nymphs).  I still was not getting the hits/numbers in areas where there are usually fish, and had a lot of fish "slap" at the fly (foul hooked one).  Trent noted the slow-motion rise, and we had some of that too.  Still, it's enough to make Beth happy -- which makes me happy.  it's awesome to be in the park and probably within a matter of days we'll all be seeing the usually numbers of fish in the pockets.

Temps weren't too warm and water was still chilly.

We not only saw the little stoneflies, but I almost ate one that fell off my shirt and onto a Sheets sandwich I was eating in the truck an hour later ;).  Beth saw it and warned me though.

We usually only use foam beetles or CDC and Elk in #14.  I carry a spinner, small streamer, some parachutes and some "sloppy" CDC soft hackle comparadunish emerger things (that have soft hackle fibers and so little CDC for a wind that they go "sunken" and hug the film easily).  I seldom fish anything other than a #14 for whatever reason.

I'm kind of paying more attention to leaders this year -- I used to use the same 9' leader I'd use for bigger streams, but it really is totally unnecessary unless you're over a random big pool or calm spot maybe.  I'm working on a really short one (a little over 6') that ends with a long 5x tippet.  They're really easy and accurate to cast and I'm betting will work even better.  I'm basically going 12 > 8 > 4 > 5x not too unlike the Harvey system, only I'm probably using a thinner butt section.

Gene

TurbineBlade

Mar 24, 2015, 5:38:10 AM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
BTW -- it feels kind of sissy to admit it, but my hips were a bit sore Monday!  I must be out of trout-shape early in the season ;).  We do move a lot though and hike far into places.  Anyone else notice that with the early trip?

Gene

Terry C

Mar 24, 2015, 6:36:02 AM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Gene, after a 2 hr drive home my legs started cramping up from all the bouldering, but I'm a bit older and have had both hips replaced   I working on getting inti fishing shape. 😰
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Parker

Mar 24, 2015, 10:52:58 AM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I fished the Rapidan on Saturday and it was a gorgeous day to be outside. Sunny and right around 60 degrees. I hooked a couple dozen fish on a #16 Royal Wulff (the only fly I fished all day). There were a number of great looking pools that I caught nothing in, which was entirely my own fault. I stubbornly refused to change over to a nymph rig so most pools >3ft deep, the fish were out of reach at the bottom.

A few minor hatches and some black stones were coming off. There was also a good number of some sort of small moths flying around (which I initially thought were caddis, but after a closer look, appear to be moths). Doe anyone know what these moths are and if the trout eat them?

Terry C

Mar 24, 2015, 2:50:20 PM3/24/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Trent #14. Q Gordan , mr. Rap, March Br did the trick. Most taken in tailouts and main seam. Only one in back eddie. I was picking up 1-2 per pool

Carl Z.

Mar 24, 2015, 9:03:29 PM3/24/15

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 6:36 AM, Terry C <flycs...@gmail.com> wrote:
Gene, after a 2 hr drive home my legs started cramping up from all the bouldering, but I'm a bit older and have had both hips replaced   I working on getting inti fishing shape. 😰

OK, now you're really putting us to shame.

emoji_u1f630.png

Ashley Frohwein

Mar 28, 2015, 11:36:47 PM3/28/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I caught 2 brookies (4" and 5") at white oak canyon/cedar run today. Weather: low thirties, windy, and sunny. Took both on prince nymphs in 2 different small pools. No signs of life in the bigger pools. No luck with dries.

Andy Thomas

Mar 30, 2015, 2:17:41 PM3/30/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I caught one brookie on Saturday on the Rose.  He took a large stonefly nymph.  I only had one take on a dry fly.  Water levels are great but it was bitterly cold Saturday; spring retreated for the day.

Terry C

Mar 30, 2015, 2:37:21 PM3/30/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice fish. Love the colors on Brookies.