place to take the nephew (spinning)

Tim Donaldson

Jul 13, 2018, 11:17:58 AM7/13/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Figured the easiest way to get my 12 year old nephew interested in fly fishing was to start him off on a spinning setup.  Any suggestions on good places withing an hour or so of Arlington  where we can park and have access to a large stream, ponds or lakes?  He doesn't have any wading gear, at least not until he can fit into my old waders and boots.

Charlie Church

Jul 13, 2018, 11:54:08 AM7/13/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If you are up for it, book a canoe trip out of Front Royal Canoe and have him throw white buzzbaits all day. Afternoon bite should be best and it's a pretty fun way to spin fish.

Thomas Stackhouse

Jul 13, 2018, 11:59:36 AM7/13/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Four Mile Run near the route 1 bridge houses a wide variety of fish species. But be careful as the banks are rocky and can be slippery.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Yambag Nelson

Jul 13, 2018, 12:14:16 PM7/13/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Why not just teach him how to fly fish? You would have a blank slate without any bad spinfishing habits.