Weekend fishing/camping near DC

William Hea

Jan 6, 2018, 11:04:22 AM1/6/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey all,

Cabin fever has set in so I'm planning potential weekend camping/fishing trips for 2018. Are there any suggestions for areas to tent camp and fish within 1-4 hours of driving from DC? Here's my list so far:
  • VA
    • Shenandoah National Park
    • Shenandoah River State Park
  • MD
    • ???
  • WV
    • Harper's Ferry

namfos

Jan 7, 2018, 8:50:24 AM1/7/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

I believe there are campsites along the C&O in MD - check with Natl Park Service site https://www.nps.gov/choh/index.htm. Parking's an issue, but I often find campers along the Potomac at Weverton in the summer. C&O Canal Trust has a program for staying in locktender houses, http://www.canaltrust.org/programs/canal-quarters/

Maryland DNR has info on State Parks, http://dnr.maryland.gov/Publiclands/Pages/default.aspx. Savage River is about 3 hours away and there's camping in the state forest http://www.stateparks.com/savage_river.html and more on state forests, http://dnr.maryland.gov/Publiclands/Pages/campinginfo.aspx

Mark

Yambag Nelson

Jan 7, 2018, 9:15:00 AM1/7/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
There are a ton of campgrounds in the george washington national forest, many of which are near trout streams.  If you google george washington national forest camping they will all come up and then you can figure out which ones are near places you may want to fish.  In general you can also camp on national forest land even if it is not in an official campground assuming you are following all regs.

Chris James

Jan 7, 2018, 9:28:44 AM1/7/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Stokesville campground is very close to Mossy Creek, they have cabin rentals as well. It’s close to Todd Lake in GWNF.

Carl Z.

Jan 7, 2018, 11:25:23 AM1/7/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
MD: Cunningham Falls state park is along Big Hunting Creek (but the campground is at the top of the hill and not along the creek)

4hours can take you into prime fishing country in PA.  I've been told Poe Paddy State Park is a great location and is on or close to Penns Creek.  Smallmouth or trout fishing, depending on the time of year.

I basically give up on tent camping in the summer around here unless I can get up into the mountains, and even then its hot and humid.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Peter Levit

Jan 7, 2018, 6:57:33 PM1/7/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Poe Paddy State Park in PA. It’s on Penns Creek. About 3.5 to 4 hours

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Martha Rhodes

Jan 8, 2018, 7:50:51 AM1/8/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Cacapon State Park has a few stocked lakes, no camping but they do have cabin rentals and is a beautiful area. There is camping at http://www.coxcamping.com/ which is nearby. Morgan County, WV has lots of area streams and of course, the Potomac to fish in.

namfos

Jan 8, 2018, 8:29:36 AM1/8/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
About an hour or so farther than Penns Creek near State College and Bellefonte, PA is Pine Creek, PA's "Grand Canyon"

Mark

Danny Barrett

Jan 8, 2018, 12:01:47 PM1/8/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
WV - Barnum. I know they have little rustic cabins. I've seen tents down there in 1 of the parking lots in winter.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Andrew Sarcinello

Jan 8, 2018, 12:20:56 PM1/8/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Highly recommend the area around Seneca Rocks in WV.  Several nice campgrounds in addition to national forest land with many established campsites along prime wild trout streams.  The fishing and scenery in that area have to be some of the best you will find on the east coast.

It is a bit far (for me anyway) but if you leave from work on a friday you can still get almost two full days in before you have to return.

William Hea

Jan 9, 2018, 7:52:39 AM1/9/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks, all!

D. Walker

Jan 18, 2018, 6:44:13 AM1/18/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have stayed at stokesville and it is nice. I may also add that just 1 mile from Stokesville Campground is Natural Chimneys.
This place is terrific and is regional park.
more information is here: https://www.co.augusta.va.us/government/parks-recreation/parks-facilities/natural-chimneys