Ir al primer mensaje no leído

Parker

no leída,
25 jul 2019, 2:44:47 p.m.25/7/19
para Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Does anyone know of a resource that reports the daily water quality of the Potomac? I am trying to figure out how bad it is if I were to accidentally fall off my paddle board for a brief moment. Right now I am using the very scientific formula: if it hasn't rained for a week, it is probably fine...but I would like a little more data.

Dalton Terrell

no leída,
25 jul 2019, 3:20:47 p.m.25/7/19
para Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
This Washington Post story references a site called theswimguide.org. It looks like they collect weekly samples in the Potomac from the Potomac Riverkeeper Network.

I can't speak to the legitimacy, but surprisingly the Anacostia appears cleaner than the Potomac now?

Dalton

Jamie Carracher

no leída,
25 jul 2019, 4:58:08 p.m.25/7/19
para Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The website Dalton posted is pretty good. I also found it after reading that article. I couldn't help but check some of the beaches I used to swim back in Cleveland. The ones close to the city also went from red to orange to green after rain like the rivers here. I've always followed the "don't go in after it rains" rule. I personally wouldn't sweat falling in for a moment. Earlier in the year I stepped into a big hole at 4MR and flooded my waders and had to swim back to shallow water. My head didn't go under water but I got dang close. Pretty nasty. but I didn't have any adverse effects. Don't get me wrong, I'm not making that a regular thing.

I see people wading and letting their dogs swim in Rock Creek all the time. That I wouldn't do, although I will admit I've traipsed through ankle-high water in my wading boots to get better angles.

Now, if someone gets a brain-eating amoeba around here, I'm probably going to rethink things.

Andrew Sarcinello

no leída,
30 jul 2019, 11:17:41 a.m.30/7/19
para Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders