Where to go tomorrow?

William Hea

Oct 11, 2018, 10:04:51 AM10/11/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey all,

Was going to Central PA with a guide this weekend but we're rained out. I'm still taking vacation, so does anyone have recommendations for local spots within 3 hours to hit up tomorrow and Saturday?

-Will

Misha Gill

Oct 11, 2018, 1:46:05 PM10/11/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi Will! Depends on what you're looking for. The bay is starting to cool down (which means the inverse for fishing) and Kent Island Narrows might start to get good soon for schoolie striped bass. Eastern shore lakes and streams are fishing great for Pickerel right now, but that requires a boat. To the south, the Rapidan River looks like it's probably in good shape for smallmouth bass (here's the location of the Confluence parking -- 20-30 minute hike down to the actual confluence of the Rapidan and Rappahanock where there's good wade fishing). The Potomac itself and tributaries are probably really good for snakehead and largemouth bass right now, but again, kind of good to have a boat. To the west, I imagine the brook trout streams in the Park are at full strength right now, which means great dry fly fishing. To the further west and up in MD, all the classic trout streams are probably in good shape. So you've really got a pickem this weekend!

Andrew Sarcinello

Oct 11, 2018, 2:31:25 PM10/11/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Kinda hinges on how much rain we get today/tonight. Stay tuned to the radar and USGS gages. Fully expecting Potomac to blow out yet again, several inches of rain have already fallen on the WV headwaters.

I was at Kent Narrows last night (as Misha suggested) and there were plenty of fish around but mostly on the tiny side. Not quite worth the drive yet and still a ton of bait fishermen crowding the few good spots out there.

The Gunpowder area may be your best bet as it will dodge the worst of the rain. Big Hunting Creek may also be in fantastic condition.

Misha Gill

Oct 11, 2018, 3:35:55 PM10/11/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Good point about the rain, have been too busy to keep close tabs on it. How much are we supposed to get?

Andrew Sarcinello

Oct 11, 2018, 4:15:14 PM10/11/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
1-2"+ south and east of I-95 (DC to Balt corridor). More the farther S you go.

Half inch to an inch between I-95 and the Blue Ridge. So most of central/northern MD should be in decent shape.

Then farther west around Cumberland and S down through WV, it looks like 1-2" has already fallen, but it is ending there soon. That is all gonna head down the Potomac toward us over the next 2-3 days although river level forecasts aren't THAT bad currently. but tonight's downpours in DC will muddy things up locally.

Andrew Sarcinello

Oct 11, 2018, 4:19:17 PM10/11/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Pulling from some obscure weather sources here but here's a simulated radar for midnight tonight for perspective:

future radar.JPG

vladimir polivanov

Oct 12, 2018, 10:28:30 PM10/12/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Maybe  Beaver Creek MD

--
http://www.tpfr.org

William Hea

Oct 20, 2018, 4:18:41 PM10/20/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
We went with Shenandoah National Park and had a blast catching brookies, thank you all for the recommendations!