Albie fishing on the eastern shore

robert mills

Nov 18, 2018, 12:17:54 PM11/18/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Anyone go off to oceancity or the eastern shore to try for albies? I know its late season now, but something I'd like to try next year. Wondering where I should go, any suggested guides, ect.

peter odell

Nov 19, 2018, 7:04:04 AM11/19/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Robert:  I'm interested, just went to Montaulk a month ago for 2 days of mostly albie fishing, and they are amazing fish on a fly rod.  Assuming it must be later in the season since they are southern bound, is there any kind of opportunity when they go back north?
Montaulk is great, but they don't call it a long island for nothing - long drive back and forth...so a closer alternative would be great.

Pete

robert mills

Nov 19, 2018, 7:24:54 AM11/19/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I would imagine there has to be a spring run, not much on fishing for them outside of some guides down in moorehead city and obviously off long island. I can find tuna charters but those are not something I'd fly fish off of unless they were teasing fish.

Charlie Church

Nov 19, 2018, 8:55:57 AM11/19/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
My buddy got one yesterday out of VB near the Chesapeake Light Tower. Albert fishing out of VA though is not really common and there are no guides I know of. They come through but usually people see them while targeting other stuff. Example, I saw a school of them in August while fishing Kings.

I can't speak to Ocean City but I do know it's starting to get good down in NC. There are plenty of guides with days available now. One to look into besides the more well known ones (Sarah Gardner and Brian Horsely) would be Andrew Campbell. I know he had availability last weekend up until the day of and ended up doing really well.

Dave Stephenson

Nov 19, 2018, 9:39:41 PM11/19/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
This is prime Albie time down in the Southern NC coastal haunts