Salmon River Trip Report

Rob Snowhite

Nov 19, 2013, 12:05:07 PM11/19/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
A few TPFR members went up to the Salmon River of NY last week. We
swing a myriad of patterns and these are the results. Podcast will be
up on itunes within a week.

You have been sent 20 pictures.

IMG_8868.JPG
IMG_8839.JPG
IMG_8867.JPG
IMG_8877.JPG
IMG_8946.JPG
IMG_8934.JPG
IMG_8987.JPG
IMG_8997.JPG
IMG_9008.JPG
IMG_9014.JPG
IMG_9024.JPG
IMG_9056.JPG
IMG_9052.JPG
IMG_9068.JPG
IMG_9093.JPG
IMG_9101.JPG
IMG_9135.JPG
IMG_9123.JPG
IMG_9130.JPG
IMG_9155.JPG

IMG_8868.JPG
IMG_9014.JPG
IMG_9024.JPG
IMG_9056.JPG
IMG_9052.JPG
IMG_9068.JPG
IMG_9093.JPG
IMG_9101.JPG
IMG_9135.JPG
IMG_9123.JPG
IMG_9130.JPG
IMG_8839.JPG
IMG_9155.JPG
IMG_8867.JPG
IMG_8877.JPG
IMG_8946.JPG
IMG_8934.JPG
IMG_8987.JPG
IMG_8997.JPG
IMG_9008.JPG

TurbineBlade

Nov 19, 2013, 1:11:11 PM11/19/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Great pics Rob -- that looks like it was a lot of fun.  I'll make it up there eventually.

Gene

Terry C

Nov 19, 2013, 2:33:46 PM11/19/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice job!!!.   What percentage of fish would you say were cought swinging vs. nymphing.   Also how was the fishing environment.  Read a post on another forum that a group of anglers were rotating through a pool, waiting their turn in line.  I would have gone to another spot.

Rob Snowhite

Nov 19, 2013, 3:04:32 PM11/19/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Terry,

The fly stretches were very crowded. If we got there by 0430 the good spots were already taken. Anglers were spaced along the river like starlings on a power line. I'm kind of over having to get up in the middle of the night and having to sit in the dark and snow for a spot. I'm sure there were other more productive parts along the river but the spot we fished constantly put fish in the net (or through the net as I had a steelie go through a hole in my net and toss the fly while doing so).  I also like to get away from the pinners and egg sack drifters. Its hard to share a spot with their invisible line going straight through the runs.

We shuffled through our spot most of one day which gave us a chance to fish different sections of a riffle.

Malinda was kind enough to put up our sticker on the inside of her door. A few more stickers were put up around town. The one at the golden arches didn't last more than an hour.

Rob Snowhite

Nov 19, 2013, 3:09:05 PM11/19/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Terry,

Most if not all fish were caught on the swing. I'm not a fan of using an indicator up there. Some chose to highstick or dead drift flies. All techniques worked. The most violent strikes were on swung intruders.

Terry C

Nov 19, 2013, 3:55:30 PM11/19/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I tied some Intruders the other night, used the recipe from your blog. Looking forward to getting up there soon.