Camping on Potomac

Matt Geiman

Sep 27, 2017, 5:43:19 PM9/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Planning a camping/fishing trip with a friend. Thinking about taking the canoe on the Upper Potomac and camping on an island or some seculded area. Anyone done this,have recommendations, or know if it's even legal?

ALarge

Sep 28, 2017, 9:31:03 AM9/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was out training my bird dog at McKee-Beshers WMA before dove season took the place over. I fished the flat, wadable section downstream from the access point for a bit and saw a crew of three or four canoes loaded to the brim with overnight gear. I asked about their float plan and they didn't really have much of one, but they said there are campsites with fire rings scattered along the river both on islands and mainland.

a quick google search led me to this map of sites upstream from Harper's Ferry: http://www.riverexplorer.com/upper_pot_map.php4

Jeff Hild

Sep 28, 2017, 12:34:58 PM9/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi Matt, I recently did a weekend float from Paw Paw, WV (where there's public access) down to Bond's Landing, MD. We started early on Saturday and finished up around mid-day on Sunday going at a leisurely pace and fishing the whole time. There are plenty of camping options along the Maryland side and on some islands. You could also go a bit further down to Little Orleans and take out there. At Bond's landing there is also a primitive camp ground on state forest land. The fishing was decent, though I was told by others that have done the trip multiple times that it was a little off this year. Very pretty trip either way.