The Snake Chamber

Dalton Terrell

Sep 17, 2017, 2:44:00 PM9/17/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

I spent this morning at one of my favorite spots on the upper Potomac smallie fishing... don't even try to ask where. This particular spot is quite snake-y, I can't fish here without seeing a couple of the little guys.

Three years ago I came across this scene:

Well, it seems the tide has turned, and the hunter has become prey.

The Snake Charmer and 10 of his smaller friends took a CK Baitfish pattern. If the weather holds up, we have a couple more weekends of wet wading and sunburns.

Dalton

Nicholas Gurley

Sep 18, 2017, 8:00:59 AM9/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Ugh snakes. Don't worry you can keep that spot to yourself! I prefer to imagine that they're not around when I'm hiking to a spot, or wading... nothing good about that feeling I get when a snake appears next to me in the water...

Bobby Davis

Sep 18, 2017, 9:11:05 AM9/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Imagine how they feel about you.

Andrew Sarcinello

Sep 18, 2017, 9:42:52 AM9/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
That's crazy!!

Last year I saw a very large bass eyeing up a water snake swimming on the surface and now seeing this I have no doubt the snake would have been dinner if my kayak had not scared off the bass.

What's also crazy is you appear to have found good fishing this weekend.  I was out both days and was nearly skunked.  Misha can attest to my frustration levels haha.

Dalton Terrell

Sep 18, 2017, 11:22:18 AM9/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Of course my attempt at a witty title was foiled by autocorrect... this should have been listed as "The Snake Charmer". The snakes aren't nearly prolific enough to make this a snake chamber.

But I was pleasantly surprised at the fishing results yesterday, but the fishing wasn't exactly normal. I couldn't buy a bite on a popper and the smallies weren't in the deep pools or seems of current at all, where I often find them. Almost all fish were held tight to the banks and only took the streamer when moved slowly; I would've only hooked a couple 8" fish if I didn't figure this out.

Dalton