Safely transporting Fly Rods

Andrew R

Mar 16, 2016, 12:16:46 PM3/16/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey All,

I'm flying out to Grand Rapids in a couple of weeks to go drift the Pere Marquette for a couple of days. I've never flown with my fly rods before as I typically fish close to DC (no further than PA, WV, VA, DE). I was considering shipping my rods out to GR rather than either trying to bring on the plane or packing in my checked luggage. Just wanted to hear about people's experiences and thoughts on the matter.

Yambag Nelson

Mar 16, 2016, 12:21:03 PM3/16/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Just carry them on.  If anything they might have you put them in the closet up front.  I have flown with flyrods tons of times and have never had a problem.

Evan D

Mar 16, 2016, 12:22:14 PM3/16/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If you have a nice hard case, they are fine to carry on with you.  I've flown with my 8wt several times (I have a rod and reel combo case for it).  I carry it on with all my gear (including flies and streamers, everything passes security).  No one gives me any issues and some TSA agents will strike up a friendly conversation about it.  The airlines are cool about it too and won't count it as an extra carry on item, plus you can always find room in an overhead for a rod.  Just my experience - but as a fly fisherman, I can say I don't like to let my gear become someone else's responsibility (aka shipping it or checking it under the plane).

I fly Southwest almost exclusively, but have also flown on American with my rod/gear.  Hope this helps!

Vietfisher

Mar 16, 2016, 12:24:55 PM3/16/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Most airlines are fine with rod case or rod tubes as carry on.

Frontier is a different story.  Between surcharges and inconsistencies in policy best to avoid airline.

Sent from my iPhone

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Jeffrey Silvan

Mar 16, 2016, 1:01:30 PM3/16/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If you're flying domestic, you're typically OK to carry it on, even if it's a third item, although you're always subject to the gate agent that's having a bad day. I had a gate agent prevent me from boarding because I had a jacket in my hands (it technically was a third item). I put on the jacket and the issue went away, but just an example of the occasional jerk.

If you're international, check with the airline and the country. The airline itself would not allow any fishing gear in a carry on. Regardless of airline regulations, you can't have hooks of any size or fishing line in your carry on when leaving Cuba.

Connor Donovan

Mar 16, 2016, 2:02:43 PM3/16/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
You should be fine if you keep it to one tube.  If you bring a backup, put it in the same tube if possible.  Even the two piece rods are fine.  Just don't fly Frontier.  Those jerks will definitely charge you extra.

I would also highly recommend you bring any other items that are absolutely necessary in your carry on.  Reels, a selection of flies, maybe some leaders or tippet spools, waders, boots if you absolutely need them.  Not everything, just the bare essentials to hit the water.  If your bags somehow get lost you'll at least be able to fish.

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Vietfisher <thevie...@gmail.com> wrote:
Most airlines are fine with rod case or rod tubes as carry on.

Frontier is a different story.  Between surcharges and inconsistencies in policy best to avoid airline.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 16, 2016, at 12:16 PM, Andrew R <andrewre...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey All,

I'm flying out to Grand Rapids in a couple of weeks to go drift the Pere Marquette for a couple of days. I've never flown with my fly rods before as I typically fish close to DC (no further than PA, WV, VA, DE). I was considering shipping my rods out to GR rather than either trying to bring on the plane or packing in my checked luggage. Just wanted to hear about people's experiences and thoughts on the matter.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

Yambag Nelson

Mar 16, 2016, 4:28:19 PM3/16/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I ducktape my rods together and have never had any trouble with considering it more than one carryon.

Brad

Mar 17, 2016, 7:46:17 AM3/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Yambag makes a great point. I carry those bungee loops with a ball on one end and I regularly travel with 4 tubes bungee'd together. I'm in Florida right now with 2 rods. It is considered one piece of luggage. I've also had to bungee rods to my carryon to keep inside the 2 piece carryon rule. I get what they are trying to do, but it is kinda silly because you can always fit a rod tube into even the most full overhead compartment.

TurbineBlade

Mar 17, 2016, 8:22:59 AM3/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm in Missouri now with a rod I carried on. No. Problem at all

Andy Thomas

Mar 17, 2016, 2:53:30 PM3/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I invested in one of the Orvis Safe Passage Carry all's about two years ago.  I use it more than I thought I would.  It's even great for storing fishing gear at home.  I've carried it on flights multiple times and, although a little awkward, it fits in the overhead compartments. I have the large one. Its also secure enough and stable if you were forced to check it, but I have never had too.  So, if you are taking more than one rod and reel, this is a great option.  It will everything you need and more.  Several brands make them but after my research, I thought orvis was the best bang for my buck, especially given their customer service.

Andrew R

Mar 17, 2016, 5:35:53 PM3/17/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey guys,

Just want to thank everyone for their feedback. I of course in my haste at the office yesterday left out the material fact that I am carting a 4 pc 13' spey rod with me that doesn't appear likely to fit in typical 4 pc rod tubes; though I'll have to check when I get home tonight. I like the idea of the Orvis Safe Passage Carry All or a similar bag that keeps all my fishing gear in one place, and more importantly on my person. If I can find one that will fit my spey rod, I'll probably go that route as I'm admittedly overcautious when it comes to travel.

I used to play golf competitively and used ship sticks alot for tournaments and trips, an awesome company and a great alternative to checking your clubs and finding your driver shaft snapped just above the hozel (how this was accomplished with a Club Glove travel bag is beyond me). It's too bad no one has created a comparable service for fishing rods.

Many thanks again and hope to see y'all on the water.

Ryan DiAndrea

Mar 21, 2016, 8:57:15 AM3/21/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Andy,

When you carry that Safe Passage case, is it your only carry on or do you have a second bag also? Like a backpack........

I feel like if I tried to carry on a backpack and the safe passage case, I would be tackled. Maybe y'all just have better luck in airports than me.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Anderson Thomas

Mar 21, 2016, 9:22:40 AM3/21/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It's just considered one bag so you can carry a backpack as well. Granted, different airlines may view it differently and I have not flown them all, but I've never had issues.  The only problem you might run into is if you board late and the overhead bins are full.  Since its long, you have to find a relatively empty bin or a bin with shallow bags, not the regular roller carry ins.  Worst case is you have to check it at the door, but it's structurally sound so your rods are still protected.  I always keep it locked too.

Make sure you don't leave a knife or other illegal objects in it!

Anderson Thomas
Sent from my iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.

Jeffrey Silvan

Mar 21, 2016, 9:33:09 AM3/21/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I used the Orvis Safe Passage the one time I checked (Cuba). It made it through four checking/claiming cycles and nothing was damaged and the case doesn't even show signs of being banged around. If you have to check, I wouldn't worry if you use that.