Big Hunting Creek - 10 November

Adam Soller

Nov 12, 2013, 11:48:39 AM11/12/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I made my way up to Big Hunting Creek in Catoctin Mountain Park this past Sunday - first time there and well worth the 75 minute drive from Arlington.  After arriving in the park and selecting a spot (the only hole I fished during my half-day there) I came across another fly fisherman who had been upstream and landed one rainbow on his nymph setup.  One of the trails in the park is parallel to the stream so there was some foot traffic during the day but the trout were likely spooked more by the "doubles" of fallen leaves I pulled in on my double nymph rigs or dries and nymph setups.

During the day I tried dries, streamers and nymphs and the only fly/setup that resulted in any strikes were nymphing with the Cress Bugs sold by James at the Beaver Creek Fly Shop.  There were a few follows on the golden retrievers and root beer colored retriever I tie but no nudges.  Later in the day there were a few trout rising but they didn't show any interest in my dries.

Attached are a couple photos of the trout landed.

Great day to be outside in the park even with the 20mph+ winds gusts.

-aks
20131110_111303.jpg
20131110_122748.jpg
20131110_122815.jpg
20131110_124814.jpg
20131110_141004.jpg

PD

Nov 15, 2013, 4:01:48 AM11/15/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

PD

Nov 15, 2013, 4:03:58 AM11/15/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Great pica! Never had any luck at Bhc. Whereabouts on the creek did you have the most luck? Has it been recently stocked?

Adam Soller

Nov 15, 2013, 10:15:55 AM11/15/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks - it was a great time.  From 15 North I took 77 West, drove into the park and past the ranger station for a mile or so to a parking lot on the left.  I found the hole near the bottom of that hill.

Maryland's Department of Resources only notes that Big Hunting Creek will be stocked "on various dates" - http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/stocking/index.asp