Tip section of fly rod found in parking lot off Beaver Creek Road (MD)

Chris Zogby

Aug 28, 2015, 11:20:27 AM8/28/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Just a FYI:  Was at Beaver Creek yesterday afternoon and found an intact tip section of a fly rod in the parking lot off Beaver Creek Road.  Stuck it in the mounted coat rack thingie outside the front door of Beaver Creek Fly Shop (http://beavercreekflyshop.com).  I emailed the fly shop owner that I placed the fly rod section in the said location.

TurbineBlade

Aug 28, 2015, 1:02:20 PM8/28/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Nice Chris!  You're a good dude.

On an geographically-related note, I just accidentally flung a brown trout down the front of my pants on Big Hunting Creek, (md) on a hook set.  Luckily, I was wearing a wader belt so he didn't make it too far.

Hey -- there's always a first!

Gene

zogby...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2015, 3:46:21 PM8/28/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Glad to have reported it.  Just hope the poor soul sees this post before they go out to their next fishing spot and discovers they only have n-1 sections of their rod available.  :-/

Nice job setting the hook!  Was it from 3 point range?

TurbineBlade

Aug 28, 2015, 3:52:05 PM8/28/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I don't know three-point -- Did the stretch from that insanely busy hwy up to penile bridge.    I don't know the place too well -- first time at BHC.  It's low as all heck, but merits a return when flows are better.  If anyone wants a brown trout down their trousers, here's how:

1.  Fish a barbless tiemco 103BL hook
2.  Be hyper-active (no problem for me)
3.  Drink 2 cups of coffee before the trip
4.  Only present dry flies well enough to catch small fish (no problem for me)

Gene

zogby...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2015, 3:56:05 PM8/28/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
"I don't know three-point"

Sorry, that was a basketball reference used in an attempt at a bad joke.  :)

TurbineBlade

Aug 28, 2015, 3:59:09 PM8/28/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Oh, I thought it was some landmark out there or something ;).  Gotcha --

zogby...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2015, 4:01:35 PM8/28/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Gene:  I haven't fished Big Hunting Creek, yet.  Have you encounter brookies there?

TurbineBlade

Aug 28, 2015, 4:08:49 PM8/28/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
No, we were there this morning but suddenly had to make a trip to the bow shop to restring Beth's compound so she can go elk hunting in a couple of weeks.

We had never been there before, but it was obviously pretty low like we pretty much expected.  Got a few 8" browns, a few more 3-4" browns (1 in the pants), and Beth played around with about a 14" riser for a bit -- but then we left.  I wasn't overly impressed with the obnoxious amount of traffic on 77, though I could see it being somewhat fun when levels are better.

Browns are worthless trash from an ecological point of view, but I really really enjoy fishing for them ;).  Life is full of these contradictions.

Gene

zogby...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2015, 4:15:15 PM8/28/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for the info.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.  ;-)
BC_brown_20150827_173053.jpg

TurbineBlade

Aug 28, 2015, 4:17:58 PM8/28/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Very nice!

Dalton Terrell

Aug 28, 2015, 4:21:52 PM8/28/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The real trash in BHC are those rainbows that TU stocks every Spring.

TurbineBlade

Aug 28, 2015, 6:30:51 PM8/28/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Ah, that was a rainbow!  This confirms it -- Beth swore she was casting at this 14" rainbow for a while (to no avail), but me being an idiot said "oh there's only browns and a few brookies in here".  I just read the MD website briefly -

Good to know!  She's almost always right; I don't know why I'm always an idiot and swear that I'm right.

Gene