White Oak

Justin Schiavone

May 17, 2015, 9:06:58 PM5/17/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Smoked a few brooks this weekend camping on white oak. Stimulaters and elk hair cadis did the trick for Jeremy and I.

Tight lines,

Justin
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ryan DiAndrea

May 18, 2015, 8:37:54 AM5/18/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Is White Oak Canyon all back country camping? As in pick your spot? Or are there designated camping sites?

--
http://www.tpfr.org

TurbineBlade

May 18, 2015, 9:01:27 AM5/18/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice pictures!

A #8-10 stimulator is a great match for a standard nut from a sweet gum (Liquidambar styraciflua-

Gene (cat-o-nine tails) TurbineBlade

TurbineBlade

May 18, 2015, 9:02:01 AM5/18/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
BTW -- how is smoked brook trout?

Gene

Justin Schiavone

May 18, 2015, 10:12:29 AM5/18/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
@ Ryan- So the camping is back country style on the first leg of the trail. There are camps at the foot of the mountain that you can rent as well.

Gene- wait so brookies actually eat the sweet gum nut, or are you joshin? Do you think they're enjoy trail mix?

Also, when I say "smoked" I mean it as a verb for merking brook trou. All natives were caught and released.

Jeremy caught a very big stocked trout down stream on the Robinson though. It was well over 20 inches and caught with a hot spot fox squirl nymph. We did smoke that bad boy with some oak and It was good.

Ashley Frohwein

May 18, 2015, 10:27:30 AM5/18/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Were you near the upper parking lot? I fished whiteoak yesterday from the bottom and the water was crazy low.

Justin Schiavone

May 18, 2015, 10:34:54 AM5/18/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
We were not close to the top. We fished the middle section that isn't right on the trail. It was very low and very challenging but we got lucky. If you know where the hole is just below the fallen trees, right there in the middle section, that's where we landed four big brooks over ten. Which was phenomenal. I hope you got some action!

Jeremy Maggio

May 18, 2015, 11:07:40 AM5/18/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Here's a few more pictures from the weekend. We had a blast catching brookies on dry flies at White Oak Canyon which was a first for me. I also got into 20+ incher on the Robinson River (the picture doesn't do it much justice but it was a blast).

Tight lines,

Jeremy
006.JPG
017.JPG
021.JPG
041.JPG

Jeremy Maggio

May 18, 2015, 11:08:33 AM5/18/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
And the rest
042.JPG
045.JPG
054.JPG
056.JPG
066.JPG

Dalton Terrell

May 18, 2015, 1:18:30 PM5/18/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, maggio...@gmail.com
Ryan,

To further answer your question on camping, this map from NPS has some cryptic rules on backcountry camping near Whiteoak Canyon: http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/whiteoak_canyon_area.pdf

When you combine this with other regulations (including no camping 1/4 mile from road or park boundary), it would appear that you have to pitch your tent above the White Oak fire road.

Dalton

Ryan DiAndrea

May 18, 2015, 2:18:53 PM5/18/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Guys.  Ya they definitely don't make this easy. It's a little harder than I thought it would be to find a place to camp AND fish.  I'm still planning on camping along Rapidan road at some point.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Justin Schiavone

May 18, 2015, 2:55:08 PM5/18/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I was going to suggest that. I camp at the lower section (off 662) of the Rapidan and it's pretty sweet. Plus in a month or so that area is loaded with raspberries. Catch a few brookies, crush some berries. That's called winning.

Ryan DiAndrea

May 18, 2015, 3:27:45 PM5/18/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That's winning in my book. Thanks for the advice brother.

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 2:55 PM, Justin Schiavone <justin.m....@gmail.com> wrote:
I was going to suggest that. I camp at the lower section (off 662) of the Rapidan and it's pretty sweet. Plus in a month or so that area is loaded with raspberries. Catch a few brookies, crush some berries. That's called winning.
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Jeremy Maggio

namfos

May 19, 2015, 10:41:05 AM5/19/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Not quite sure what it is, but I particularly like how 041 and 042  are composed.

Mark

Jeremy Maggio

May 19, 2015, 12:01:46 PM5/19/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Mark- I also think those are some of my favorite shots from the weekend. They kind of embody everything I like about fly fishing for trout- a beautiful piece of water, being in-tune with your surroundings, and sneaking up on some spooky fish. That log jam made for one hell of a back drop too.

Justin Schiavone

May 19, 2015, 2:54:48 PM5/19/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You like those ones too Mark? I thought they were nice snaps, and with an eye-fin phone camera ta boot.

We took four brookies on that run. I couldn't believe it. One was feeding in a very difficult lane, but we were able to put a fly  over his head and he ate. It was amazing.

Small streams are tough but 'the hotter the battle the sweeter Jah victory' as ol Bob would say.

namfos

May 20, 2015, 8:49:14 AM5/20/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Jeremy and Justin, the duppy conquerors:

Those "nice snaps" would make an excellent illustration for a blog post or article about fishing the Blue Ridge, esp. SNP environs. Only thing that might have made them more interesting would have been to lose the blue shirt and while hat for camo. ;-)

It might also be fun to fool around with these pics in photo editing software - solarize them, vintage them, whatever.

Mark

Justin Schiavone

May 20, 2015, 7:22:57 PM5/20/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

Thank you for the kind words. We are definitely dubby conquerors, soul adventurers- night and day. Perhaps we will write this up and see what we can do with it. If you want direct message one of us if you'd like to help.

Js

namfos

May 22, 2015, 10:00:15 AM5/22/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Just screwin' around with Picasa...

Mark
punched up White Oak at SNP 041.jpg
sketchWhite Oak at SNP 045.jpg

namfos

May 22, 2015, 10:00:55 AM5/22/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
And a couple more

Mark
posTerize White Oak at SNP 041.jpg
HDRish White Oak at SNP 045.jpg

Justin Schiavone

May 22, 2015, 10:32:39 AM5/22/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice dude, those are sweet!

namfos

May 23, 2015, 5:22:56 PM5/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Me? The guy who can induce camera shake in nearly every snap? You flatter me.

You know how it's been said that if you had enough chimpanzees pounding away at keyboards you might get a Hamlet or a Macbeth as a result? Well that's my level of photo effects editing. I twiddle dials randomly and if I like it I "save as."

;-)

Mark