Papua New Guinea Black Bass

Misha Gill

Mar 6, 2015, 6:14:57 AM3/6/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Warning: conventional gear ahead.

Sharing this for all kinds of reasons. The guy's casting skill. The exotic location and awesome species. And definitely take note of his teasing abilities with a topwater lure.

Two questions come to mind. Does anyone know of a fly with a "walk the dog" action? And has anyone ever fished for this species? I believe Lefty Kreh talks about fishing for these fish in his "50 species" book. I recall he spoke highly of their fighting ability, and the video bears that out.

TurbineBlade

Mar 6, 2015, 8:00:20 AM3/6/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
No, but Beth spent the better part of a day in Wilmington last year doing that.  According to her, it's not as easy as it looks and is every bit as tiring as fly casting after you tick-tick-tick that sucker along cast after cast.

Very cool fish!

Gene

namfos

Mar 6, 2015, 8:29:34 AM3/6/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice dentition! Boga grip's a good move.

Mark

Dalton Terrell

Mar 6, 2015, 8:41:36 AM3/6/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Misha,

Check out the Pole Dancer fly for walking the dog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJT5ei8WEvQ

They're pricey and I don't know if you can really reproduce the molded head with other materials.

Dalton

Scott Stankus

Mar 6, 2015, 9:28:56 AM3/6/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Misha - for a walk the dog action, check out the tying video for the Zaggin' Zook on the Clear Cure Goo website.

--Scott

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

D. Walker

Mar 6, 2015, 6:03:04 PM3/6/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Here is a YouTube link to zaggin zoom
http://youtu.be/jeatp-UTY7M

Steve F

Mar 7, 2015, 11:49:36 AM3/7/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Charlie Bisharat's Airhead fly is supposed to have that same action at the surface or subsurface though I haven't tried them myself.  I did buy materials to make a few but time has been in short supply.

Carlos V.

Mar 8, 2015, 3:10:52 PM3/8/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The guys doing the GeoBass series with Costa del Mar sunglasses did an entire episode on them targeting PNG black bass on fly. Check it out.

http://youtu.be/2SKowFHCzsE

Chris S

Mar 27, 2015, 2:30:01 PM3/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It's great that there is a post about New Guinea bass.  A lot of the fish down there are caught on flies below the surface.  Everyone who has caught one says its the hardest pulling fish in fresh water bar none.  Lefty Krey backed this up saying it the toughest fish pound for pound there is.

Below is a link of Rod Harrison catching a 20 pounder on fly in the 80's.  Rod is the guy who introduced the black bass to Lefty Krey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw0jReWySdM

Lucas Rudd

Apr 5, 2015, 2:36:20 PM4/5/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have an Idea for a walk-the dog fly. Tie a crease fly with a little slanted foam lip underneath and try adding a little sili skin on the back to make a paddle tail. If it doesn't walk, it will at least wake and put up vibrations