Tesseract 4 for old languages

Guillaume Desforges

Mar 12, 2018, 4:11:45 AM3/12/18
to tesseract-ocr
Hi

I want to try using Tesseract 4 for old manuscript languages ("The Song of Roland" and such).

I have looked at https://github.com/tesseract-ocr/tesseract/wiki/TrainingTesseract-4.00 but the steps are very unclear.

I have an image and a text file with the line content for each line of manuscript text. The doc says what to do, but not how.

I first thought I'd need img/box files pairs, but it seems it was for Tesseract 3 and is now irrelevant...

There is no tool to create the lstm-recoder directly. Instead there is a new tool, combine_lang_model which takes as input an input_unicharset and script_dir(script_dir points to the langdata directory) and optional word list files. It creates the lstm-recoder from the input_unicharset and creates all the dawgs, if wordlists are provided, putting everything together into a traineddata file.

I don't really get this part. How do I make  input_unicharset ? What is langdata?

Thanks

Guillaume Desforges

ShreeDevi Kumar

Mar 12, 2018, 4:31:22 AM3/12/18
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Please try tesseract 4.0.0beta.1  with languages such as

enm (English, Middle (1100-1500))

and

Fraktur  script

Also, look at the following project from a few years back

ShreeDevi

ShreeDevi Kumar

Mar 12, 2018, 5:59:41 AM3/12/18
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
>I have an image and a text file with the line content for each line of manuscript text. The doc says what to do, but not how.

>I first thought I'd need img/box files pairs, but it seems it was for Tesseract 3 and is now irrelevant...

Tesseract4.0.0beta.1 does not officially support LSTM training from box/tif pairs.

It uses box/tif pairs generated using the synthetic training data generation pipeline using a training_text and set of fonts, for making the lstmf files that are used by lstmtraining.

langdata refers to the langdata repository under tesseract-ocr github repo. The files in it have not been updated for 4.0.0

ShreeDevi

jbc...@hotmail.com

Jun 12, 2018, 10:49:20 AM6/12/18
to tesseract-ocr
Same question here. I see that the documentation on training Tesseract 4 makes some reference to manuscripts:

    As with base Tesseract, there is a choice between rendering synthetic training data from fonts, or labeling some pre-existing images (like ancient manuscripts for example).

So, if I understand correctly, there is no support yet for training with labelled pre-existing images ? The concept of font does not makes sense with manuscripts, and what we can use in this case is just pairs of images and text (transcription).

Best,
Jean-Baptiste Camps

ShreeDevi Kumar

Jun 12, 2018, 11:34:39 AM6/12/18
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Please see the project https://github.com/OCR-D/ocrd-train

It has support for training tesseract if you provide line images and matching ground truth text.

ShreeDevi Kumar

Jun 12, 2018, 11:47:13 AM6/12/18
to tesser...@googlegroups.com

which makes it easy to create synthetic data similar to manuscript pages.