Is there any difference using Tesseract on a mac or pc ?

Bill Wong

Oct 14, 2015, 10:10:31 AM10/14/15
to tesseract-ocr
I've been comparing for the same image on PC and MAC, the results differ a lot.
My images are PNG files, in french words. For some odd reasons, I get perfect result on MAC. On PCit's not usable at all, the text doesn't make any sense.
I've installed the right language pack. I would like to know if it's normal?

On PC (windows 10) I would enter this line on the command line:
tesseract "C:\Users\Billy\Desktop\New folder\1gif.png" output.txt -fra -5

On MAC (El Capitan):
tesseract filename output.txt

Thank you

ShreeDevi Kumar

Oct 14, 2015, 11:00:22 AM10/14/15
to tesser...@googlegroups.com

To use a particular language the syntax is

-l fra

Not

-fra

- sent from my phone. excuse the brevity.

ShreeDevi Kumar

Oct 14, 2015, 11:01:49 AM10/14/15
to tesser...@googlegroups.com

manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man1/tesseraact.1.html

On 14 Oct 2015 19:40, "Bill Wong" <fire.st...@gmail.com> wrote:

Bill Wong

Oct 14, 2015, 3:38:23 PM10/14/15
to tesseract-ocr
I get the same results in both case wether it is -l fra or -fra

Tom Morris

Oct 15, 2015, 9:34:28 PM10/15/15
to tesseract-ocr
What happens when you use the same command line flags on both machines? You show no flags being used on the Mac. What version of Tesseract are you using?  Did you build the binaries yourself (what compilers?) or did you get them from somewhere (where?)?  What image are you trying to recognize?  etc, etc

You've left out a whole bunch of critical details, but if you search the group archives, you won't find lots of complaints about Tess behaving differently across platforms, so I'd look first at things like your environment, setup, etc.

Tom