Successfully installed and run Tesseract on Ubuntu, but can't find baseapi.h file to include ...

fsbo.c...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2015, 12:50:50 AM8/30/15
to tesseract-ocr
are there different types of installations of which I have chosen the wrong one? The leptonica include files are showing up fine.

Thanks very much!

Sriranga(82yrsold)

Aug 30, 2015, 4:59:00 AM8/30/15
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
which version of ubuntu on which tesseract installed. also indicate version of tesseract-ocr  - since I want to install on ubuntu 15.04.

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 10:20 AM, <fsbo.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
are there different types of installations of which I have chosen the wrong one? The leptonica include files are showing up fine.

Thanks very much!

fsbo.c...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2015, 2:07:10 PM8/30/15
to tesseract-ocr

Tesseract:
tesseract-ocr: Installed: 3.03.02-3

Ubuntu:

Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS

Also, just to make sure I'm not missing something, is there a distinction between tesseract-ocr and tesseract?

Sriranga(82yrsold)

Aug 31, 2015, 8:32:05 AM8/31/15
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
. I thought tesseract version is 3.4.0 installed in the ubuntu. thanks

zdenko podobny

Aug 31, 2015, 9:34:07 AM8/31/15
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Did you installed tesseract dev package?

Zdenko

fsbo.c...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2015, 11:16:47 AM9/2/15
to tesseract-ocr
Hi Thanks for the notes! The problem was that I was used to using tesseract on mac, which has a different install process (I believe) from ubuntu. I needed to compile it on ubuntu, which I think is possibly equivalent to installing the tesseract dev package?

Question for sriranga, is this Tesseract 3.4.0 you mention only an iOS thing? I see a few pages from a google search but they are all related to iOS and according to this: http://cocoadocs.org/docsets/TesseractOCRiOS/3.4.0/

it is based on 3.03.

Sriranga(82yrsold)

Sep 2, 2015, 11:20:55 AM9/2/15
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
I dont kow about ios. I am using ubuntu in window platform computer.

zdenko podobny

Sep 3, 2015, 3:41:46 AM9/3/15
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 5:16 PM, <fsbo.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Thanks for the notes! The problem was that I was used to using tesseract on mac, which has a different install process (I believe) from ubuntu. I needed to compile it on ubuntu, which I think is possibly equivalent to installing the tesseract dev package?

Packager usualy split distribution files to several packages - comman are 2: "runtime" and "dev" You do not need "dev" package for running program (e.g. tesseract). With this approach you can save a space for end users.

If you install tesseract from source you install everything (excluding language data ;-) ): tesseract executable, tesseract library, tesseract header files...

Jeff Breidenbach

Sep 4, 2015, 1:58:16 AM9/4/15
to tesseract-ocr
sudo apt-get install tesseract-dev