Any plans for 3.0.3 release?..

Igor Savin

Sep 24, 2014, 4:47:23 AM9/24/14
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Our company is currently evaluating option of using 3.0.3 versions of tesseract (we need export to pdf) for a production environment that is going to launch early next year.

For obvious reasons, it would be really helpful to know if there are any plans to release stable 3.0.3 somewhere this year, or if (rough) estimate is that it's going to take much longer. Any comment from developers would be most appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

zdenko podobny

Sep 24, 2014, 7:19:13 AM9/24/14
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
  1. Please do not create you own version (3.0.3)
  2. 3.03 version will not be released. For details search this forum.
  3. Next release will be 3.04:
    • There is no deadline for it.
    • AFAIK there should come some more commits from Ray.
    • There should be new generated language data files () for this version
Regarding PDF support maybe Jeff Breidenbach can give info, if there will more changes...

Zdenko

Igor Savin

Sep 25, 2014, 1:39:56 PM9/25/14
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for clarification!

Jeff Breidenbach

Sep 29, 2014, 12:34:38 PM9/29/14
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
>Regarding PDF support maybe Jeff Breidenbach can give info, if there will more changes...

There is a problem in PDF output when the languages switches from left-to-right
(such as English) to right-to-left (such as Arabic) within a line. I plan to work on that.
There is also some discussion going on in the issue tracker about file formats
and command line parameters, which should get resolved shortly.

Shree

Oct 16, 2014, 8:16:19 AM10/16/14
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Is there any update planned with The Ubuntu 14.10 Release October 23, 2014?

Jeff Breidenbach

Oct 24, 2014, 6:14:50 PM10/24/14
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday's Ubuntu release fixed the training tools omission,
as documented in the Tesseract FAQ. Otherwise it is the exact
same code as Ubuntu 14.10.

The mixed language PDF improvement I mentioned in the
Tesseract has made a formal release. The next Ubuntu release
will be April 2015.

ShreeDevi Kumar

Oct 25, 2014, 2:50:15 AM10/25/14
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Zdenko,

Do you know what milestones we are waiting for before the next release?

Is there anything that the tess community can do to help?

ShreeDevi

zdenko podobny

Oct 29, 2014, 5:25:19 PM10/29/14
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
I am sorry for late reply, but I am overload with my "regular tasks", so there is no time for free projects...

IMO these steps should be done before next release:
  1. Release of new language data - this promised by Ray in past and this looks like key open topic for me.
  2. Check the wikis and other project documentation files (INSTALL, README etc.) - first to check/improve content and than it should be checked by English native speaker for grammar etc.
  3. Check the issue tracker :-):
    • check if there is the issue valid with current code
    • check if there is test case, that should help replicate error (if not ask/create simple test case)
    • grouping of issues with extended info[1] (I can add edit right for those who want to collaborate) => this will trigger other actions: what shall be fixed for this release (e.g. issues related to language files), what will be postponed... IMO issues <= 1066 commented well, but double check will help.
Beside about mention it would be great if there is community testing team e.g. for each platform (linux, windows, ios) or maybe for each compiler (gcc, clang, msys2, msys, VS 2009, VS 2010...). It is important that tester would use it on regular base. The reason such team is e.g. issue 1354[1]: I guess that usage of uintptr_t will break support of VS2009 (which is needed for python2.x on windows)

Also especially windows packager(s) is welcomed (building library, creating installation etc.).
There is a more things to be done (also after release of source code)... So somebody want to help just ask for task at this forum.

Zdenko

Shree

Oct 29, 2014, 11:10:45 PM10/29/14
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Hello Zdenko,

Thanks for the update. You may want to edit the subjectline to reflect the discussion - 'Plans for Tesseract-3.04rc'

Yes, it is possible that a number of issues would get resolved with new 'traineddata' files from Ray. However, if he is only planning to release the source language data files, then we may also have an extra task of building traineddata files from them. I hope Ray will clarify and also let us know timeline of expected release.

Is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ePMcP1f6ot0fMbBlZ40llC_7PX_1yib4RTN6N4G5OlI/edit#gid=0 the NEW issue tracker .. If so, I woudd suggest adding columns with the version of tesseract, o/s effected and date issue was filed.

I can test on msys2, windows8 and maybe windows7. My interest is improving the training for Indic languages, so I would be testing the training tools also. My focus will be on Devanagari based Indic languages such as Hindi, Sanskrit, Marathi etc. I can also review Gujarati and Tamil for basic info. Srirangaji can test for Kannada.

Shree

zdenko podobny

Oct 30, 2014, 3:53:31 AM10/30/14
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 4:10 AM, Shree <shree...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Zdenko,

Thanks for the update. You may want to edit the subjectline to reflect the discussion - 'Plans for Tesseract-3.04rc'

Yes, it is possible that a number of issues would get resolved with new 'traineddata' files from Ray. However, if he is only planning to release the source language data files, then we may also have an extra task of building traineddata files from them. I hope Ray will clarify and also let us know timeline of expected release.

Is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ePMcP1f6ot0fMbBlZ40llC_7PX_1yib4RTN6N4G5OlI/edit#gid=0 the NEW issue tracker .. If so, I woudd suggest adding columns with the version of tesseract, o/s effected and date issue was filed.

No, this is not new issue tracker. This is just report based on issue tracker, better (for me ;-) ) overview about open topic (e.g. inform openCL  developer about openCL issues, point out issues with patches to Ray etc.)