"fmt" exit status

Murray S. Kucherawy

Apr 30, 2021, 10:23:06 AM4/30/21
to terrafo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

What does an exit status of 2 mean when I run "fmt" without "-check"?  No path is being provided as an argument.  The documentation is not clear about this; "-check" is the only place where discussion of the exit status is present, but I'm not using it.

Thanks,

-MSK

Lucas Possamai

May 17, 2021, 6:49:38 AM5/17/21
On Sat, 1 May 2021 at 02:23, Murray S. Kucherawy <supe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

What does an exit status of 2 mean when I run "fmt" without "-check"?  No path is being provided as an argument.  The documentation is not clear about this; "-check" is the only place where discussion of the exit status is present, but I'm not using it.

It means that Terraform failed to format your files (it needs arguments, from memory). You can run terraform fmt -diff to check the syntax and then terraform fmt -check to validate it. If the last command returns nothing, it means FMT was successful.

Lucas

Murray S. Kucherawy

May 25, 2021, 1:35:47 AM5/25/21
to terrafo...@googlegroups.com
I'm running it with "-diff -write=false", and it exits 2 with no output.  It doesn't tell me why it failed to format; it's completely silent.

GitHub Issues: https://github.com/hashicorp/terraform/issues
IRC: #terraform-tool on Freenode
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Terraform" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/terraform-tool/CAE_gQfWKbwgBb5HExoY%3DyUho8_NAEmSDFRgsx%3DAJL-gTyUAoGw%40mail.gmail.com.

Richard Jennings

May 25, 2021, 2:06:33 AM5/25/21
to terrafo...@googlegroups.com