Interested in joining the dev team

Pheng Heong Tan

May 18, 2016, 4:02:01 AM5/18/16
to tatoeba
Hi people,

My name is Pheng Heong. You can call me PH for short. I would like to join the dev team. Here's something about me:
  • I'm from the island of Singapore (very tiny city-state in South-east Asia where English is an official language)
  • I speak English and Mandarin Chinese. I know some Hokkien, a dialect of Mandarin Chinese
  • I have three years of experience in programming. All of those are from my years in college and a few internships.
  • I came across Tatoeba when I was looking for phrases to use with a friend from the Philippines. Although he speaks English, I thought it would be fun to learn his native language, Tagalog
  • I'm thinking of looking at and resolving the issues on GitHub
  • I don't have an account on Tatoeba yet

Pheng Heong Tan

May 18, 2016, 4:05:17 AM5/18/16
to tatoeba
Oh, my GitHub username is phtan

Trang HO

May 18, 2016, 12:35:39 PM5/18/16
to tatoeba
Hi Pheng Heong,

Welcome to the project! :)

I've invited you to our GitHub team.

If you have a moment this Sunday, join our Gitter chatroom: https://gitter.im/Tatoeba/tatoeba2?utm_source=share-link&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=share-link
You can of course join it before Sunday, but I'll be online the whole day on Sunday so we can have a little chat :)
Also, not sure if you've tried already to install Tatoeba on your machine but if you run into issues with that, you can ask for help over there.

Cheers,

Trang

Pheng Heong Tan

May 18, 2016, 2:42:14 PM5/18/16
to tatoeba
I received an invitation to the Tatoeba organisation on GitHub.

I'm in the middle of running the Ansible tasks from Imouto. It is taking a long time to complete the download of CSVs from Tatoeba.org.

Maybe I'm not patient enough... I'll work on it.(waiting for the download and the Ansible tasks, that is.) And yes, Sunday would be a nice time to chat about any issues that would have come up.

Cheers.

Trang HO

May 18, 2016, 5:57:45 PM5/18/16
to tatoeba
Yea you have to be very patient, it takes quite a while to import the database. More than one hour ^^

It's not really necessary to import the database though, it's just the default setup so that you don't start off from an empty database. But probably we should change it to skip the database import. You don't exactly need all that data to run Tatoeba locally and get started on solving issues.