GSoC 2015

Trang HO

Jan 13, 2015, 8:31:39 AM1/13/15
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
I just figured that there's one month left before applications are open to organizations for GSoC 2015.

Do we want to participate again this year?
Anyone wants to be a mentor?

Gilles Bedel

Jan 13, 2015, 9:01:45 AM1/13/15
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 14:31:16 +0100
Trang HO <tr...@tatoeba.org> wrote:

> Anyone wants to be a mentor?

Yes, I do.

— gillux

Tomasz Melcer

Jan 13, 2015, 9:30:27 AM1/13/15
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
W dniu 13.01.2015 o 15:00, Gilles Bedel pisze:
Yeah, I think I'll join the fun too.

--
Tomasz Melcer

Maxime Buquet

Jan 13, 2015, 9:42:42 AM1/13/15
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
I might be able to be useful this year actually, so yes.

--
Maxime "Pepe_" Buquet

CK @ Tatoeba Project

Jan 13, 2015, 9:43:19 AM1/13/15
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
Question:

Whatever happened to things that got developed last summer?
I remember sending a lot of mail to the person working on harvesting public domain documents for potential Tatoeba Corpus additions.

Is the code such as that available to us?
How about what the others developed?
Is any of what they did being currently used?

Tomasz Melcer

Jan 13, 2015, 9:57:37 AM1/13/15
W dniu 13.01.2015 o 15:43, CK @ Tatoeba Project pisze:
> I remember sending a lot of mail to the person working on harvesting
> public domain documents for potential Tatoeba Corpus additions.

It needs some integration. As it was written in python, I thought of
postponing the integration to the time when pytoeba will be in a more
finished state.

> How about what the others developed?

lool0 keeps working on pytoeba, recently there are two (?) other people
that seem to want to help him too.

I wasn't actively following the events recently, so this is based on my
memory:

The admin scripts haven't got used yet in production, as far as I know,
but they do generate a working development machine.

The card generator was finished and jakep hosted it for some time. It
needs some admin love to set it up properly on our machines, I think,
and if I recall correctly, this was also supposed to wait a bit for
other stuff to happen.

--
Tomasz Melcer

CK @ Tatoeba Project

Jan 13, 2015, 10:03:24 AM1/13/15
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
Maybe it doesn't matter, but if what was created last year is actually being used, perhaps Google would be more interested in doing it with us again this year.

Or, does Google automatically approve us because we were approved last year?

--
Tomasz Melcer

Tomasz Melcer

Jan 13, 2015, 10:30:38 AM1/13/15
W dniu 13.01.2015 o 16:03, CK @ Tatoeba Project pisze:
> Maybe it doesn't matter, but if what was created last year is actually
> being used, perhaps Google would be more interested in doing it with us
> again this year.

Not sure; it's pretty normal there to have exploratory projects, or
simply stuff like lool0's pytoeba (known from start to be too big for
GSoC, but still undertaken to get done as much as possible).

But I can't see it could hurt either…

> Or, does Google automatically approve us because we were approved last year?

No automatic approval. I don't know how they handle that, but I remember
someone from Google saying that they do favor organizations who were
already in the program in the past.

--
Tomasz Melcer

Gilles Bedel

Jan 13, 2015, 12:09:47 PM1/13/15
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 23:43:18 +0900
"CK @ Tatoeba Project" <c...@tatoeba.org> wrote:

> How about what the others developed?
> Is any of what they did being currently used?

Some of the admin scripts are used in production (the one who installs
the external services nihongoparserd and sinoparserd). We used them to
install the new server and can use them to update these services any
time.

The rest of the admin scripts can be used by developers to build a
working development machine. Sadly I don’t expect them to work any more
since they’re out of date and no one maintains them.

— gillux

Trang HO

Jan 15, 2015, 5:58:19 PM1/15/15
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
I've added a page for GSoC 2015 project ideas: http://en.wiki.tatoeba.org/articles/show/gsoc_2015_ideas
Also changed the wiki CSS while I was at it, to make the wiki more readable.

CK @ Tatoeba Project

Jan 15, 2015, 6:55:24 PM1/15/15
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
http://en.wiki.tatoeba.org/articles/show/gsoc_2015_ideas

I changed this wiki layout.  If you don't like it, please revert it.

### Project title
#### Description
Brief description of the project. If you have already specified a lot of things about the project, do not write all the details here. Create a separate wiki page for it and only write a summary here, with a link to that wiki page.

#### Deliverables
What is the student expected to deliver at the end of the summer.

#### Prerequisite knowledge
Technical knowledge required to be able to complete the project. If you do not know what are the prerequisite knowledge for the project you are proposing, you can leave this blank, someone else will complete it.

Alan F

Jan 16, 2015, 5:55:40 PM1/16/15
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
In the regular text, I see a lot of aliasing ("fuzzy text"), with dots sticking out above and below the characters, especially at large font size.

I don't know whether that's a property of the font or something else.

Alan

Capture.PNG

CK @ Tatoeba Project

Jan 16, 2015, 8:07:49 PM1/16/15
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
It looks OK on Google Chrome on my Mac.

See attached Screenshot.

One way to avoid potential problems would be to not use GoogleFonts, but let the pages display with standard fonts installed on the users' computers.

Screen Shot 2015-01-17 at 10.04.21.png

Trang HO

Jan 17, 2015, 9:53:37 AM1/17/15
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
I think the aliasing is caused by your using an older version of Chrome.
http://www.dev-metal.com/fix-ugly-font-rendering-google-chrome/

But anyway I've removed the webfonts because sysko mentioned Google fonts API was blocked in China so visitors from there would have the page taking longer to load.
They are still defined in the CSS though, so if you happen to install these fonts on your machine, you would see the wiki with these fonts instead of Arial (or whatever default sans-serif font is defined on your browser).

Alan F

Jan 17, 2015, 1:27:30 PM1/17/15
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
I was using the latest version of Firefox (on Windows), not Chrome.

Alan

Trang HO

Feb 7, 2015, 7:35:13 AM2/7/15
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
I have updated the wiki page to add a few more projects ideas.
http://en.wiki.tatoeba.org/articles/show/gsoc_2015_ideas#

I removed TODO's but it doesn't mean you cannot add any more ideas.