Sunmoon Riad

Jan 5, 2022, 11:29:46 AM1/5/22
to tas...@googlegroups.com

Tasker App factory should be able to optionally create Android App Bundle (.aab) for kid apps aside the (.apk)

Android app bundle to be created optionally for tasker kid apps instead of Apk alone.

Since Play store now requires developers to only upload Android app bundles of their applications.

kindly work on this Please, thanks.

Brenden M

Jan 6, 2022, 10:14:19 PM1/6/22
to Tasker
I also have a problem with current state of App Factory and .aab needs.

There is a certain trouble with that: the Android Play Console creates the signed certificate. When I tried to use Android Developer Tools to use my Play Console certificate with the Tasker kid APK, that's where it breaks down for me.

I THINK it could be possible, for a particular app package, to use the proper signed certificate from Play Console, downloaded to the phone, and then an APK could be made while the AAB also gets created properly signed by Tasker App Factory.

THEN, an APK could be used to install manually which also works, AND also the properly signed AAB might be used in the current era of Play Console and app development.

Again, it isn't JUST that AAB files need to export. The proper signature ALSO has to come from Play Console. THAT PART cannot be performed by Tasker App Factory. There needs to be some amount of crossing back and forth to make it work.

I guess the trick is getting Tasker to sign the AAB properly, or the "workaround" properly perfected so users can use ADTools and Play Console to sign and develop the AAB from Tasker's kid app ....

...without becoming a full fledged "developer"... it's this point that I couldn't work out.... I used the tools to Sign an AAB using the right certificate..but then my app task/scene did not load correctly when I installed from the Play Store. It ALMOST worked, haha!

Sunmoon Riad

Jan 7, 2022, 3:43:50 AM1/7/22
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for your answer. Have you used any app and done the work on PC or smartphone? Say it a little clearer

Brenden M

Jan 7, 2022, 1:02:21 PM1/7/22
to Tasker
Hi.

Before the AAB requirement, I successfully uploaded an APK to Play Store. It worked.
After the AAB requirement, as said one has to use the Play Console provided "certificate to sign" the AAB.

This is where my process is incomplete because Tasker App Factory doesn't make use of the proper certificate.
Previously Play Console would accept the self-signed certificate from App Factory.
Now (I believe) the Play Console certificate (for new apps) comes from Play Console.
This is where I think the updates to App Factory have to be focused, perhaps by manually bringing the proper certificate from Play Console in order to get App Factory to properly sign the AAB.

To specifically answer your question. I designed my app in tasker on my phone, then I tried and failed to use the various Android Developer Tools (on MacOS).
I tried signing the APK from App Factory with the proper certificate, and my app could then be uploaded to Play. The Play store accepted it!!
I could install the app. The problem I had was that the Launch Task would not run.

But as I said, I'm not actually a developer, so I'm not sure exactly where I went wrong, or what would be needed from the Tasker dev.

Sunmoon Riad

Jan 7, 2022, 2:17:03 PM1/7/22
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your discussion. Have you been able to upload apps to the Play Store in any way since the Android App Bundle? If not, what do you think? Is there any way to upload?

[Actually I am a student and I opened a Play Console account at a cost of $25 with my hard earned money. Now if I can't upload the app then I'm helpless]

If anyone knows any way about this. Please let me know...

Thanks

Brenden M

Jan 7, 2022, 2:53:01 PM1/7/22
to Tasker
You're welcome.

Well, I'm interested in this too. I have not been able to properly create an AAB with a Tasker kid app that works out in the end.

It's not a promise from Tasker dev that App Factory will allow Tasker users to upload to the Play Store, but it was relatively super easy to do so BEFORE the AAB and certificate signing requirements.

We need to hear from the Developer, if there is a serious intention or capacity to work on this. (If not, my failed method of using Android Development Tools to sign the AAB myself has to be properly worked through by someone with knowledge, so anyone should then be able to then follow the steps to do so, IF a programmatic method by the Tasker Dev won't be workable. Again, I could get the kid APK signed and made an AAB that Play Console accepted and could install to my device... It just wouldn't load my start task... I might have only missed a fairly trivial step with the ADTools..)

Obviously there is a lot to do and keep up with ongoing updates and all the bug fixing, and it's predominantly a solo work by Joao, now. We thank you Joao!!!! Tasker is an incredibly sophisticated app for what it does. It isn't primarily meant to be an "app development engine" while the APK export does allow a Tasker user to share their setups with non-Tasker users. It would be BEAUTIFUL if we could export the AAB properly, and not have to get too deep into the code, and potentially sell apps.

Do you see this post, Joao, and have any feedback?
I asked once months ago, and you acknowledged this issue. I'm not sure what further has been done by now.

João Dias

Jan 13, 2022, 10:26:39 AM1/13/22
to Tasker
Unfortunately I haven't figured out a way to make it work, sorry :( The AAB building mechanism is totally different so I need to figure out a lot of stuff before I can get this to work... Sorry, wish I had better news...

Thank you for your contact.

   Join: connect multiple devices (send pushes, remote SMS, notifications) on Android, Windows, Mac, Linux
   Tasker: customize/automate anything on your phone!
   AutoApps: add advanced functionality to Tasker via plugins

João Dias

Sunmoon Riad

Jan 13, 2022, 12:16:06 PM1/13/22
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for reply João.

Would you please tell me about it? Is it possible to convert app made from App Factory to .aab file through Android Studio? Is it possible to use any medium? It will be very useful to inform me about this.

João Dias

Jan 13, 2022, 1:08:17 PM1/13/22
to Tasker
Unfortunately I don't know of a way to make it work for now, sorry! Not even with Android Studio...