tap tap - is this thing on

Jim Priest

Jun 10, 2019, 6:56:20 PM6/10/19
to tac...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick update on the status of TACFUG

My earliest email I can find regarding TACFUG is from April 2008 when Dan and I took over from Critter and Dave Powell.

It's been a fun 11 years but people are moving on and despite my best efforts last year - the attendance isn't what it used to be.

We DO have a space at ICF and moving forward I'm certainly willing to help someone if they want to have a meeting.  But my cat herding days are over :)

Otherwise:
  • I'm pulling down the Meetup page for TACFUG.  Dan was paying for this (thanks Dan!) and with no upcoming meetings we see no need to keep that going.
  • I'm also going to kill the Slack channel. There hasn't been any activity there in awhile. If you are on Slack I'd recommend you join the CFML Slack channel:  https://cfml-slack.herokuapp.com/
  • I will probably let the tacfug domain go once it expires.
  • This Google Groups will continue - we get the occasional question, there is no cost and it's a good archive.
Questions or concerns please feel free to ping me - I'm still around (and still writing ColdFusion) :)

Jim

ps. Anyone up for a CFLunch sometime?

carpente...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2019, 7:07:29 PM6/10/19
to tac...@googlegroups.com

Sad to see it go. Glad we will keep the group email.

Back in 2009, this group was a lifesaver for me, and I will never forget it.  Thanks Jim and Dan for the boost and memories.

Leslie Carpenter

--
Upcoming events: http://www.meetup.com/Triangle-Area-ColdFusion-Users-Group/
Follow us on Twitter: @tacfug

doug...@bellsbranch.com

Jun 10, 2019, 7:25:37 PM6/10/19
to tac...@googlegroups.com

I’m also sad to see it go, and I’m grateful for the community and all the tips and tricks over the years.

Doug Ens

Keith Rokoske

Jun 10, 2019, 10:18:15 PM6/10/19
to TACFUG
Hi Jim, Dan and all,

Thanks for keeping this going for as long as you have!  While I've not been a frequent poster or consumer of TACFUG/CCFUG, over the years (decades!) it's been a great resource.

I'm still coding in CF and would still enjoy CFLunches - and continue to talk about what comes next, at least for me -> Elasticsearch, Java Spring Boot, Node, Angular, NativeScript, etc.!

Cheers,
Keith

Chad Stinner

Jun 11, 2019, 8:11:14 AM6/11/19
to tac...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

Managing a group like this takes a lot of time and dedication. Finding interesting topics and those to present on them is also a challenge. TACFUG was an incredible resource when I first started ColdFusion development and still is. From learning about CommandBox, Bucky's take on JavaScript, interacting with Adobe directly and especially NCDevCons. I completely realize how much time and effort it takes to make those things happen and I want to send a special thanks to Dan, Jim and everyone who helped make those things happen.

While interest might be low now I'm glad we're keeping the google group. It might pick up in the future.

Chad.

--
Upcoming events: http://www.meetup.com/Triangle-Area-ColdFusion-Users-Group/
Follow us on Twitter: @tacfug

Chad Stinner
(919) 530-0054

Viji

Jun 11, 2019, 10:42:17 AM6/11/19
to TACFUG
Yes, definitely sad to see this go. Thank you Tacfug for getting me started with ColdFusion. All the meetings have been of immense help over the years!

Viji Saxena

Dave Powell

Jun 11, 2019, 11:23:05 AM6/11/19
to tac...@googlegroups.com

Hey guys!

Kudos to Jim and Dan for keeping the group going for 10+ years!  Divesting of TACFUG to run the CAUG (and focus on my first born) was the best idea I had in 2008, and Jim and Dan took the group to amazing places Critter and I didn't have the time and devotion to pursue.

Although it's been ages since I have written anything CF related, I have nothing but fond memories of this group and the community it inspired.

I am just down the road in Greensboro these days, and (for the most part) avoiding work travel, so let me know if you have that farewell lunch, and I'll try to make it to the Triangle for the day!

Good luck, and remember, ColdFusion Lives!

Dave Powell

--
Upcoming events: http://www.meetup.com/Triangle-Area-ColdFusion-Users-Group/
Follow us on Twitter: @tacfug

Asif Rashid

Jun 11, 2019, 7:06:53 PM6/11/19
to tac...@googlegroups.com
Thank both of you for your efforts. I also had good time. Let’s have lunch? Let me know the day and place.

Asif Rashid

Sent from my iPhone

Denard Springle

Jun 12, 2019, 1:02:11 PM6/12/19
to TACFUG
A heartfelt thank you to Dan and Jim for all the years and all the memories TACFUG has brought to me. This was the first user group I ever spoke at, and only because Dan encouraged me to do so. I learned so much from this group over the years I was in the triangle and wish I was still in the area to continue supporting it. Very sad to see it being let go, but understand the effort required to keep a group going. It isn't always easy and you fellas did one hell of a job for a lot of years... you deserve many kudos.

-- Denny

Anant Pradhan

Jun 13, 2019, 12:35:11 AM6/13/19
to tac...@googlegroups.com
Jim and Dan - Thanks to both of you for all that you have done for TACFUG and the CF community over the last decade. You guys really did an amazing job, and I'm sure made a significant impact on several careers. TACFUG was my first introduction to the ColdFusion community, and largely due to your efforts, it turned out to be an incredibly positive experience and a great learning opportunity.

That said, I don't think this needs to be the end of TACFUG. I don't write a lot of CF code any more but am still involved with CF, and would like to see this user group continue to operate. Probably don't have the bandwidth to volunteer to take on running this on my own but if someone else wants to co-volunteer, I imagine we can keep this limping along a little longer. Any takers? :-)

CFLunch is a little hard for folks like me that are on the edges of the Triangle. But I would like to propose a CF happy hour in the second half of July, if that works for folks.

Best,
Anant