Installing Sympy Mac OS 10.10.3

Zane DuFour

Jun 29, 2015, 3:38:24 PM6/29/15
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone! I'm trying to install sympy with the

python setup.py install

command, but I'm running into an error message:

error: could not create '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/share': Permission denied

I was previously getting the error message

error: could not create '/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/sympy': Permission denied

But didn't get it after giving myself read-write privileges to the site-packages folder (this is on my laptop, so I'm running this as admin). After getting this new error message I tried to deal with it by giving myself read-write privileges for the Versions folder, but it's not working.

Also, I don't actually have a ~/Versions/2.7 directory. The only folder I have in the Versions directory is 3.3.

Aaron Meurer

Jun 29, 2015, 6:04:01 PM6/29/15
to sy...@googlegroups.com
I recommend installing Anaconda. http://continuum.io/downloads. It
already comes with SymPy, it doesn't require any root permissions to
install, and you will avoid potentially breaking your system Python,
which it sounds like you are likely to do (never mess with anything in
the /System directory unless you really know what you are doing).

Aaron Meurer
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/f26d7a99-2d5a-4b87-9acf-a7ad13bf8ed6%40googlegroups.com.

Matthew Brett

Jun 29, 2015, 6:17:33 PM6/29/15
to sympy
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Aaron Meurer <asme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recommend installing Anaconda. http://continuum.io/downloads. It
> already comes with SymPy, it doesn't require any root permissions to
> install, and you will avoid potentially breaking your system Python,
> which it sounds like you are likely to do (never mess with anything in
> the /System directory unless you really know what you are doing).

More generally, you should definitely avoid installing into system
python if possible:

https://github.com/MacPython/wiki/wiki/Which-Python

Cheers,

Matthew