Introduction and GSoC 2019 Application

willia...@college.harvard.edu

Mar 21, 2019, 4:43:39 AM3/21/19
to sympy
Hello all,
I am a first-year at Harvard University. I have 3 years of programming experience in Python, primarily from coursework and competitive programming.
My CS coursework at my university includes Artificial Intelligence, Programming Languages, Data Structures and Algorithms.
My mathematical coursework includes Linear and Abstract Algebra, and Real and Complex Analysis. I also have an undergraduate knowledge of topology and multivariable calculus.
My statistics coursework includes a course on measure-theoretic probability and a course on stochastic processes.
My area of expertise is in probability theory. I currently have little experience in developing symbolic math systems, but I hope to gain some with GSoC.

A project that I'm interested in working on would be adding symbolic manipulation with stochastic integration, particularly with Brownian motion. I noticed that this has not yet been included in the statistics module in SymPy.

Arif Ahmed

Mar 21, 2019, 6:46:43 AM3/21/19
to sympy
Hi William,

I think the coursework done so far is quite impressive and you should not face much problem understanding the background mathematics required.

Since time is quite limited, I would recommend you start writing your proposal now.
Whilst writing the implementation details section you will be able to break down the project further into smaller components. Since selection under GSoC in SymPy strongly depends on past contributions, you should implement the smaller building blocks of your proposal before the students announcement date and open PRs for them.

Regardless of selection, only by opening PRs and getting them reviewed would you get more comfortable in contributing to the library.